New Losers ---- How are you doing so far?

Pam T.
on 11/20/07 8:13 am - Saginaw, MI
Hey all you Early November Losers - How are you feeling? Did you learn any lessons in the first couple weeks that you'd like to share with the "late November Losers"? Was the hospital stay easier or harder than you anticipated? Any tricks to get all your water or protein in? How are you tolerating food so far? Find any favorites that you didn't expect? What stage are you at with foods (clear or full liquds, purees, etc.)? C'mon... tell us how ya'll are doing! Pam
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/07 10:36 am
I had my surgery (RNY) on the 16th, and everything went as smoothly as it could. My surgeon requires a clear liquid diet for 10 days after surgery, then if tolerated, we can advance to full liquids for 10 days, then pureed, etc. So, the clear liquids are going well. I am having emotional cravings, but very mild. They usually last about 5 minutes, not bad. My surgeon doesn't want me to worry about protein this week, he wants us to concentrate on that portion after full liquids start. Im having enough trouble making sure I take in enough liquids. I still have a JP drain in, which is annoying, but tolerable, and my tiny incisions are healing nicely. Thanks for asking about everyone else! How are you doing?? Hopefully everything is going smoothly!
Pam T.
on 11/21/07 10:45 am - Saginaw, MI
It's so amazing that different doctors and different bariatric facilitiies have such drastically different post-op programs. The first 3 days after my surgery (minus the day of surgery) I was on clear liquids. But as soon as I was released from the hospital I was on a full liquid diet. Then today (8 days post op) I had my 2 week post op follow up (they couldn't get me in next week so we chose to go early). At today's meeting with the nutritionist, she bumped me up to the next phase of eating. She said even though its a few days early that I can go ahead and see what I'll tolerate. So I'm now on pureed and soft food. My JP drain came out before I left the hospital --- so thankful for that! I'm glad you're feeling better and on your way! Hope all goes well with the liquids. Pam
isuez
on 11/23/07 12:30 am - IL
Hi Pam- I am 3 weeks out yesterday. I am doing pretty good so far. I just cannot tell when I am hungry or full. I eat when I seem to get light headed or a headach. Probably 2-3-4 times a day. My surgeon had us on clear liquids for 10 days, then day 10-14 we could add a protein drink. Day 14 to 28 are a combination clear, full and pureed foods. The pureed are like carrots, greeen beans, hot cereals (YUK), yogurt, SF custards/puddings ect. I have only lost 15 #'s since the 1st of Nov, but then again, I am not doing much, and not really eating much anyway. I had open rny on Nov 1st. My emotions are all over the place... I am sooooo tearful... anything just about can make me cry. I hear this will pass soon. I HOPE SO> other than that... I didn't have any drainage tubes or staples. My incision is about 4.5 inches long, with dissolvable stiches. I think I have ONE regular stitch because its still there. I am not in any pain, and can get around pretty well. The only thing I was not prepared for is how EXTREMEMLY TIRED I AM ALL THE TIME! But I can't seem to sleep during the day. I try to just sit and rest by watching TV but I have no patience... i feel good so my mind says to get out and do something, but my body says 'oh no.... not yet...' aghhh... but overall, I guess I am doing pretty good.... Please let me know how you are getting along.... what are you going through? thanks sue
Pam T.
on 11/23/07 12:38 am - Saginaw, MI
Sue - It sounds like you're doing pretty good. I also get tired easily, but it's just a matter of sitting down and relaxing for a bit. I also don't get hungry, and I also don't feel full after I eat --- or at least I haven't figured out what it feels like when I've eaten enough. But my nutritionist gave me an hour-by-hour schedule for the entire day of when to eat, when to drink water, etc. and it's been a total godsend for me. I've put the schedule into my PDA and set alarms throughout the day ... so it is keeping me on track. I just had an alarm go off telling me it was time to drink 8 oz. of water. If I didn't have the schedule, I'd be totally lost. As for being emotional. Yes, that's absolutely normal and it will continue --- it's just something you'll need to get used to and figure out how to deal with. Fat cells are primarily made up of hormones (estrogen) and when we rapidly lose weight those hormones are released into our bodies. So with all those hormones floating around it's common to have drastic mood swings, depression and extreme happiness. So the sooner we recognize why it's happening, the sooner we can deal with it. To me, it's good news when I get all moody -- mean's I'm losing weight. Pam
lpark98
on 12/26/07 3:39 pm - JONESVILLE, SC
Hello. I had my surgery on Nov. 13,2007 also. I sure wish I had been given the sechedule you have. I have been really confused, because I too was bumped up to the stages early and can't really tell where I am supposed to be. It is all a guess now. Can you tell me about where I should be? I really haven't had any problems, and I would like to be keeping a chart like I see on here but not sure how. Any advice or help will be appreciate. Thanks, Lynn
Most Active
Recent Topics