Edmonton - Weight Wise

Xcalibur2572
on 11/17/09 2:50 am, edited 11/17/09 2:51 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
Thanks for the information, Marty.  It never occurred to me to think about the City of Edmonton facilities.  In the past, I went to Club Fit, which was okay, but I really didn't fit in there.  I think that almost anyone who is obese doesn't really feel totally comfortable in commercial gyms.  You have to have a thick skin to deal with all the staring and whanot.

Now, I go to to the Van Vliet Centre on the UA campus (because it's free), but the facilities are aging and the pool schedule doesn't fit well with my working hours.  So, maybe a change is in order for the new year.  I may have to purchase a few day passes and try out a couple places.  For now, with my schedule open, I can overdose on the Van Vliet until the new year once my surgeon signs off on the exercise program.  :)

Cheers!
-- Alex

marty_enokson
on 11/17/09 4:12 am - Edmonton, Cayman Islands
Hey Alex...

Nice to know your name.  I agree with you.  I never thought that I would get my ass into the gym so soon.  I knew I would eventually - I was just expecting it later in my journey... like when I lost 250 pounds.  But... like I said, I feel totally comfortable in the gym... and surprisingly have been told by many individuals that I have become a bit of an inspiration for them.  I have had serious jocks come up to me and be totally supportive of what I am doing and what I have gone through so far.  At the end of the day... I have built up a pretty thick skin and really don't give a damn what anyone has to say about me.  I am in the gym and I am working out.  I know that some days I can be quite a spectacle (who wouldn't be a spectacle) when I am riding the recumbant bike my loose skin is practically slapping me in the face... but I don't give a damn.  I am not doing this for them, I am doing this for me... and I will reach my goals.

Keep with it Alex.  Keep positive and stay focused on the prize... that prize being a much healthier, thinner, more well adjusted man.  Bravo to you for being in the gym... keep it up!

marty
iamrebeccalou
on 8/4/10 4:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
Wait... I didn't know there was a waiting list? I just got my perscription for weight wise last week... so now I have to wait 6-12 months more? 
newmom35
on 4/12/11 2:22 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Hi, Just wondering if anybody has gone to Red Deer for the surgery??
Kabobly08
on 1/12/11 11:36 pm - Canada
Hello, I am new here so don't know when you will get this post.
I joined weight wise in 2008 and am  just now at the point of waiting for a surgery date. It does seem , for some people , that the wait is a long one. I was kept busy with appointments and modules to complete. DONT underestimate the importance of these steps. It may be irritating at  first but when you finally get to the stage I am you will realize the importance of the education you have gotten. I am on another site for support for surgery patient,,,, and there are alot of patients out there that have gotten no education on how to eat before surgery and what life is going to be like after surgery , and so many of these patients are going to fail because they revert to old eating even before they really start losing.

Word of advice , get all of your modules in as soon as you can shedule them. Do exactly what they tell you to do and it will go faster.

Robin
Most Active