Liquid diet

babykissw
on 5/30/12 10:11 am - Canada
 Hi Everyone,
      I was told that I will be doing a 3 week liquid diet before my surgery. Have anyone else had any problems drinking ensure and do anyone know if there is any alternative for this. I have not started my liquid diet yet and will ask at my next appointment but would love to hear any feed back you can offer. I have tried two different ensure and gagged badly on both :(

Thank you 
seeking_freedom
on 5/30/12 11:11 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 i am currently on the pre op with ensure. i was told if there was a problem with the ensure there is an another option. im allowed 5 ensure ( must be the high protein) and 1 cup of skim milk. but everyone is prescribed a different diet. a heads up though... everyone was telling me that the 1st 3-4 days are the worst, but for me its just gotten progressivly harder and harder. i havent nor will i cheat, wont risk it. but i guess we really cant say to someone else what they will experience. i have nausea everyday since day 5 and since day 1 have had major diahrea.and a headache most days that i hear is carb withdrawl. its not easy.. its harder then i thought, especially when your family bbqs....ugh, lol
best of luck. but i must add, here in winnipeg the poor girls have to do optifast intead of ensure, i hear its vile, and only comes in choc or vanilla. i love the strawberry ensure best and im not much for the vanilla, but everyones tastes are different. but its worth sampling ea*****ase you do find one you like.  dont want to get stuck witjh something nasty, i couldnt imagine this if i didnt love the ensure. and man... theres nothing to these things. stay strong and keep you eyes on the prize! you can do it
niki

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
Xcalibur2572
on 5/31/12 12:22 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
 Talk to your dietician.  They will be able to provide you with a list of acceptable alternatives for replacing Ensure.

My experience with the pre-op diet is the same as most.  The first 3 days are rough and you want to gnaw your arm off.  After that, it's a piece of cake.  Also, start researching ketosis.  You will go into that within the first week of the liquid diet.

Cheers!
 - Alex

Most Active