That Was A Rough Week

chale
on 10/23/11 7:24 am - Canada
Well, my first week of liquids was not as bump free as I'd assumed that it would be!

By Tuesday I was so nauseous that every time I had the chicken broth, I literally felt like I was going to throw up.  Then by Wednesday, my stomach and intestines were sore and irritated and I was having horrible intestinal pain and cramping.  By Thursday I was hardly drinking anything, and so I called Nooshin, who told me to come in on Friday.  She told me to stop the Glucerna and broth, and gave me an alternative - Gardennay. 

On Friday I had to meet the anaesthesiologist, so that worked fine.  I didn't expect to be at the hospital for over 4 hours, though!  I thought it was just a meet and greet with Dr. Tang, but nope!  I met with a nurse in the pre-op clinic for about half an hour, then she sent me off for blood tests, EKG and chest x-ray.  Then about 3:30, I went back to see Dr. Tang and he asked me all kinds of questions and told me what to expect.  I got out of there about 4:00 and tore over to Nooshin's.

She thinks I was having a reaction to something in the Glucerna.  She said I'm the first person that she's had to re-do the diet for!  But I have IBS and it obviously was not liking so much Glucerna and broth.  So now I am on Gardennay and more yoghurt and milk. 

So I have another week to go on the liquid diet, and I see Nooshin again on Friday for my final weigh-in - then it's the home stretch. 

I'm still not very nervous (almost I must admit I blanched a bit when Dr. Tang talked to about possible chipped teeth!!!), and now I just want it over with!  Roll on, Monday!

Cynthia
readyornot
on 10/23/11 11:21 am

Sorry to hear you have had such a touch week, hopin that this coming one is better for you.  What is your surgery date? with whom?

chale
on 10/23/11 11:41 am - Canada
Hi there.  My surgery date is October 31 - I have to be at Richmond General at 11:15 a.m.  My doctor is Dr. Nguyen - he shares an office with your doctor.

How far along are you in the process?

Cynthia
jaynak
on 10/23/11 1:27 pm - Canada
Cynthia, so sorry that you had such a rough week!!!  Hope that your dietary changes work and this week is much smoother for you.  Jayna
Momx4kids
on 10/24/11 4:00 am - Abbotsford, Canada
Are you talking about the same Dr. Bao Tang from the Island, or is this a new Dr. Tang?

bamf
on 10/24/11 11:05 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi Cynthia:
I am sorry to hear of your pre-op liquid diet problems.  It should get better soon, and then the time will fly by.  I also switched to Gardennay Soups (much more variety and taste).  I mix it with skim milk to cut down on the salt, plus add a scoop of BeneProtein powder to each serving, which helps boost the protein which is needed to shrink your liver for surgery.  I had my RNY on October 3rd and am still on full liquids diet because I had problems and had to be in hospital for 15 days so am 2 weeks behind in my food progress.  But the weight has been dropping by a pound each day, and I am now down by 75 pounds, since mid March.  Good luck with your surgery at the end of the month.  HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Barb Friesen
jaynak
on 10/24/11 11:32 am, edited 10/24/11 11:42 am - Canada
Hi Barb.  Where do you get the BeneProtein stuff???  Is it similar to the benefibre???

Cynthia, If you'd like a visit while you're in the hospital I'll be down to see Nooshin on Tuesday and Dr. Sampath on Wed.  Let me know and I will message you my cell number.

Jayna

readyornot
on 10/24/11 11:58 am
hi cynthia,
I am very early in my process still.  I have my ultrasound in december as well as my internist(??) appt.  my upper GI is in November and I spoke to a nutritionist today and am now three weeks into my food logs.  I have read "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" twice and I am on this board so often reading all the updates and information that I am feeling like I can make the right decision.  Dr Nguyen is such a nice man too, he removed my gallbladder last year and has the most wondereful bedside manner, not sure how I ended up with Dr Sampath but he is wonderful as well.  What procedure are you having? How long are you in hospital?
K
Most Active