Leaving Province Quick UPDATE

dietersteven
on 12/1/16 8:53 pm

Went to Quebec in September for GBP Surgery after waiting almost two years with  no reply to my doctors referrals here in BC. 

• The wait for surgery was six weeks. 
  • Doctors and Support staff were outstanding, supportive, kind and friendly 
  • Post operative and dietician support have been amazing.
  • Cost $19,500.00 

The results so far:

• Pain was minimal 
  • lots of bloating due to surgical gas used but doctors
  • Nausea from anesthetic was pretty intense but no vomiting (thankfully)
  • Previous weight:337
  • Pre-op diet Weight loss (Optifast) 34 Lbs 
  • Post-op weight loss 54 Lbs
  • Lots of energy 

instead of being challenged to stop eating I find it challenging to eat the full recommended amounts so now I have to think carefully and plan meals around nutritional goals!!!

Feels great!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/16 2:19 pm - CA

Congrats on the progress!   Are you having VSG or RNY?

dietersteven
on 12/5/16 3:53 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I had RNY, on sept 25th. It's been a huge success! It's almost three months since starting their prep diet and over two months since the surgery and I've lost a total of 90lbs! My wife is a huge support! (She had gastroplasty 20 years ago). Although I had a lot of experience with relatives who had similar surgeries and saw their lives change ......  it was way bigger that I ever could have imagined! 

AnImperfectAngel
on 12/5/16 3:30 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

So happy for you!

I'm still waiting... If I could do it over again, I would go the same route.

I should not have wasted three years of my life waiting and watching my health continue to decline.

Congrats on being proactive!

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

dietersteven
on 12/5/16 3:37 pm

I'm so sorrry for your wait. ? You can still go to Montreal if you can raise the funds. 

I think the BCMA does a lot of extra care and education with the patients that might be worth waiting for. 

My wife and father in law had stomach staples 15-20 years ago and I watched their successes and challenges and helped them in their recoveries so I had a lot of information about how my life would change, also have been in therapy for four years and have been dealing with the emotional component so I didn't feel that I needed all of the classes and training that the BC system involves. 

I hope your your surgery is booked soon! I wish I could have done it here for free! 

AnImperfectAngel
on 12/6/16 3:27 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

So they say I will have surgery in April. If that doesn't happen I don't know what to do. It's been three years. This waiting is absolutely ridiculous and I'm regretting not just doing self-pay from the start. You made a very wise decision!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

dietersteven
on 4/20/17 6:31 pm

Did you get your surgery?

AnImperfectAngel
on 4/21/17 10:40 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I finally just got my date - May 30. How are you doing? Have you been successful with your weight loss?

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

dietersteven
on 4/24/17 11:10 pm

Great I see by your stats that you are doing well pre-op!

My progress has has been awesome! I've lost 80% of my excess weight according to BMI and docs recommendations. So from a high of 347 when I made the phonecall and 305 going into surgery I'm down to 202 this morning.

It it feels amazing !

Food is a big challenge! The first week or so in solids I over did it once and vomited white foam:( I hate throwing up with a passion so it only will happen that once. It's pretty easy to fill your mouth with food and forget to take bites the size of your baby fingernail! But my body reminds me !

best of luck with your surgery! Keep us posted!

AnImperfectAngel
on 5/8/17 1:31 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thanks.

I'm glad to see you're doing so well.

I will keep everyone posted for sure!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Most Active