Dr. Afram?

GiveMeTheGreenlight
on 2/11/09 10:53 am - Silver Spring, MD

I just attended a seminar facilitated by the most professional Dr. Afram and his cordial staff. I am feeling more and more like WLS is the path I need to take.  My first question to this group, however, is about payment.  While I realize all insurance plans may have different coverages, I was advised by Dr. Afram's staff of a flat $1,500. 00 fee that I will be responsible for paying 7 days before my surgery date.  This was explained to me well before we knew whether my insurance plan covers WLS or not; in fact, we have not even reached the stage where we apply for approval.  I have had several friends undergo various versions of WLS in several different states, but none of them have encountered such an out-of-pocket expense that is assessed regardless of insurance coverage.  Can anyone provide any further clarity?  Thanks! :)

mocha033
on 2/12/09 8:16 pm - MD
RNY on 12/21/09 with
Please try Dr. Brian Long at Sibley Center for Weight Loss Surgery.  His next support group meeting in on March 4.
Sharonne M
on 2/16/09 9:19 pm - In Love, MD
Hello,

They should have explained that the $1500 fee covers all your post-ops visits. The insurance companies won't cover that. I had my surgery with Dr. Afram & Dr. Buras in 2004. All I can say is that the $1500 is well worth.

Be Blessed,
Sharonne
PLAYGROUND
on 2/24/09 4:01 am - Washington, DC
I am glad someone touched on that.  Hi Sharonne!  I had surgery in 2006 and never pay anything either.  Like someone said I love Dr. A he saved my life and the fact that he gets right down to it is a plus.  As a man, I don't need anybody trying to cater to my ego, tell me what's up and let me be about it.

I recently gained some weight back though and am looking for some workout and dietary tips to get my weight back down.  Anybody have any suggestions?
small20634
on 2/17/09 4:26 am - Southern, MD
I didn't want to pay anything out of pocket to be honest. However, I will NEVER have to pay for any visit to him again. I call them up when ever I need to and come in. The group meetings same thing. I have friends that have to pay for all of that each visit and they are not as successful with thier weight loss. I would recommend Dr. A to anyone. He is straight forward and he is on top of his work!

Good luck,

KLo
September9th
on 3/6/09 12:45 am - Lithonia, GA
im not gonna lie, that $1500 fee plus the $350 for the Psych Eval threw me for a loop!! Damn I just moved to DC for my internship, im not making any real money and here I am having to dip into my savings.......WTF!!

Yes, no matter what insurance plan you have, the $1500 fee is required. $350 for Dr. Zimmitti as well. You can go to another Psych Doctor in your network, but factor in an appointment, a report to be written and wondering if the doctors office will fax it before your surg date can be a hassle. Dr Zimmitti is onsite and theres no hassle!!

I pondered over the almost $2300+ i have spent in preparation for this surgery, and to me the benefits far exceed the costs....

Think about this: All of your post-op visits are FREE for LIFE, anytime you need to talk to ANYONE in the office there is NO HASSLE!!

Dr. Afram is the best surgeon, do your research like I have done, come to the support group meetings, ask his patients.

You will see.

My date is 3/17/09 and I had to pay the $1850 last week, I didnt want to, lord knows I need the money in these times, but this time last year I couldnt of afforded it, and with my weight and co-morbidies I may not have been here to receive this surgery.
GiveMeTheGreenlight
on 3/6/09 5:25 am - Silver Spring, MD
September9th~

Thanks for your response.  I, like you, have done a lot of research, and it seems as though Dr. A is the best choice as far as surgeons in this area goes.  I have has several friends undergo this surgery (various forms) in several different states and by several different surgeons, but not one of them has been required to pay any monies in excess of what was covered by insurance and/or normal copays.  I am still unclear about  EXACTLY WHAT THIS FEE IS FOR....?? I plan to attend a group meeting on Mar. 11 (the second in my 3-mos. beh. mod) and I will have to ask them to explain to me again what it is I'm paying for. 

Good luck to you on the 17th!  It's coming quick....are you ready?  Where are you here from?

GiveMeTheGreenlight
stapoo
on 3/6/09 7:20 am
Hello,
I just had surgery with Dr. A on 2/10/09 and may have been in the session you attended. I am going to try to be there on the 11th as well, if my work schedule permits. The fee covers all follow-up visits, aftercare, and any other incidental charges. Most people do not go to comprehensive weight loss centers, meaning they pay different fees at different places for psych, nutritionist, post op, etc...

You will pay the $1500, $350 (for psych) and co-pays at the various labs/doc appts you will attend. PLEASE do not go to another doctor. While your friends did not pay the surgeon, I am sure they encountered fees in other areas. If you need to see Afram five years from now, it's free. Plus, to echo what others have written, I researched until I was blue in the face. There is NO MORE EXPERIENCED or competent surgeon in our area. He really is the BEST and this matters in avoiding complications. I didn't realize how much "doctor choice" mattered until after surgery when I started reading this site. Some of the complications others regularly encounter, are non-issues with Dr. A's patients.
renee C.
on 7/16/09 7:01 am - Forestville, MD
I too went to see Dr. Afram and was reminded why years ago I did not seek assistance from his office.  I went in for a consult recently for a revision and was told the same thing.  With my initial surgery I was never asked for any upfront fees.  Unfortunately I think it is a case of pure greed.  Please seek another doctor for your surgery.  If our insurance is paying for these procedures what is the other cost related too?  Hmmmm.
Most Active