Advice?

aerin123
on 1/24/10 11:36 am
Hi,

I decided to join this forum because I underwent LapBand surgery in Texas in 2007 (I currently live in DC) and come November, it will have been three years. I am the same weight. I initially lost 40lbs (most of that immediately after surgery in the "drink liquid stage") and I continued to lose about 20 more pounds. My surgery was not covered by insurance because I was not heavy enough - I was also 21. I am 24 now and I am despondent. My parents initiated my receiving the surgery, but I was hopeful that it would work. I told myself, "How could it not?" Obviously, the "eating around it" is a huge reason as to why it does not work - I am completely responsible. I also think my band is too loose and I can't seem to find a doctor in DC. I am on a lot of medicine due to depression and anxiety - medicine that I was on before I received the surgery - and I am aware that my only problem is mental defeatism; I find that I don't care about myself enough to change. I am not genetically predisposed to be overweight and I purposely created my current dilemma; in a large family of marathon runners, surfers, etc. I am the pink elephant in the room. My parents have "now accepted my current weight" and my mother wants the band taken out because "it is ridiculous to have it when it is clearly not working." However, I want to keep the band. Even though it is not working - again, my fault - removing it completely would be my ultimate failure. I apologize for this being so long, but I just wanted to let the forum know why I am here and why I could use some advice.
Most Active