Question for all post op DSers

Jaiart
on 12/7/12 10:31 am - MI
The prohibition against drinking and eating simultaneously following a DS. I understand it's to prevent taking up the limited space in our stomachs with liquid when were trying to get our nutritional needs met but I always drink while I'm eating, just a sip to "wa**** down". Not long gulps or anything. Anyone else do that?

bugirll
on 12/7/12 10:47 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

The no drinking thing is a RNY rule.  Yes, drinking takes up room that you may want to fill with protein at the time and may want to limit it.  One of the advantages of the DS is being able to drink with food.  Personally, my food does not go down very well without the lube of a beverage or gravy or something.  I never limited my liquids and did not have issues with getting what I needed.

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
galla1
on 12/7/12 11:13 am

I have always drank while I ate.. Except for the first couple weeks after surgery.

2Julykids
on 12/7/12 11:15 am - AZ
DS on 11/12/12
Technically, the no drinking while eating is for RNY, but you begin to digest your foods with your saliva. When you drink something else, you dilute your natural methods to start food breakdown and since we want to get some nutrition out of the food, it is probably better to allow your salivary enzymes to work.
bugirll
on 12/7/12 11:08 pm - MD
DS on 03/19/12

This is false information.  Fluids do not interfere with digestion.

2Julykids
on 12/8/12 12:21 am - AZ
DS on 11/12/12
You are one of the most negative people I have ever come across. Thanks to you, I will be leaving this board.

Jaiart, Larra, Valerie-I thank you for all of your input.

Everyone else, good luck on your journey and keep in mind that the things coming from Bugirl are NOT all that she thinks they are.

NoMore B.
on 12/8/12 2:01 am

You would leave a board because you dont like what one person said?

For the record, I agree with her.  What you said about liquids diluting our digestion of nutrients sounds ridiculous.  She (and I, and anyone else who wants to) are entitled to challenge an assertion if we dont agree.  Think about what you said.  If that were the case, are you eating straight protein powder rather than mixing it with water?  Are you dehydrating your food before eating?  It makes no sense and I stand by that.  You, of course, are entitled to dispute and debate your point, or you can stomp your foot, take your toys, and go home.

Herman
on 12/8/12 3:10 am

Where the heck is the LIKE button when you need it. LOL

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
A. Holt
on 12/8/12 2:03 am

I want to ask you if you consider someone correcting false information a negative?  In my book it is a positive. 

You really do need to have a thicker skin and not leave because of one person.  You will encounter a lot of negatives with the DS, most of them from Doctors and Nurses with a few Dieticians thrown in and you will need to stick up for yourself to stay healthy.

This msg is NOT meant to be a negative for anyone reading, just the truth.

bugirll
on 12/8/12 3:23 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

You are allowing me to occupy a lot of space in your head. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 531 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 929 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 308 views