vitamins how much do you spend in a month?

nevergonnalearn
on 12/20/12 10:46 am - phila, PA
DS on 03/26/13

I have been looking into vitamins and protein supplements. The thing is there are so many websites a long with so many vitamins and shakes that I go a little cross-eyed. My doctor has a booklet he gives out to his patients and it has the following 

High ADEK multivitamin 3x/day

Calcium citrate 1800-2400 mg/day should contain D, & magnesium.

Iron 50 - 65 mg

Then I go on youtube and people are saying do not go by what the surgeons say and to use all these different types of vitamins. As well as vitalady. I am just trying to save up some money so I can have a few months worth of supply. I know everyone is different with what they need based on their labs but I am just looking for a general range of a price per month. And what websites/ stores everyone recommends to buy them from. Thank you

never trust a fart.

PattyL
on 12/20/12 11:14 am

I buy mine from Puritan when they have their buy one, get 2 free sale.  I have no idea what I spend per month because I always buy in bulk.  Per year, I spend between $400 and $500.  I plan to buy twice a year.  Occasionally I will run out of something and have to buy an extra bottle but not too often.  I also look for local sales on vites but I don't find cheaper ones very often.

I also take a few things that aren't on VL's list like chromium piccolinate and aspirin.

Please read Vitalady's list.  It's pretty good.  Then compare to what your doc is telling you to take.  Sooner or later, you will end up deficient in something.  But if you have already bought vites, use them up while you shop.

Valerie G.
on 12/20/12 10:50 pm, edited 12/20/12 10:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The high ADEK multi's don't have enough ADEK for what the general DSer needs.  A double-dose of Centrum-like multi with separate dry formulated A, D, E and K work best. 

The other two are reasonable recommendations to start, and pair vitamin C with iron to maximize absorption. 

To all of this, I also recommend extra B, zinc, copper and selenium

Many of these you can get locally, and do watch out for good BOGO sales and stock up.  The dry vitamins are the ones that you'll not find locally, and can get online.  Vitalady is a good resource, and Biotech is the brand if you want to look it up.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

preachermomma37
on 12/21/12 1:08 am - TN

The recommendations you receive from your Dr. is what I received from mine and it proved to be very inadequate. I went with Vitalday's suggestions for DSers. At 6 months out all I am working on is my Vitamin K1 and my protein levels. I'm hoping by 9months out we have it all figured out. I spend about $50 a month, but so worth it. They are a high priority in our budget along with groceries and rent.

nevergonnalearn
on 12/21/12 1:24 am - phila, PA
DS on 03/26/13
50 a month sounds great do you order online?
preachermomma37
on 12/22/12 7:21 pm - TN

I started with ordering online then went to the Vitamin Shoppe that is pretty close to my home. I compared labels and prices and most things were either cheaper or the same so the savings in shipping and the ease of being able to pick up a little each week caused my switch. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views