Pump removel question...

Tonya E.
on 1/11/13 2:36 am
Ok so I've been home from the hospital for two days now and am doing ok. The stitch they put in my muscle is very sore and I'm so over the pumps! I made an appointment for Tuesday to have them removed like I was told to, but when making the appointment they informed me to save pain Meds and make sure to take them before I come in.... How bad does it hurt? I have two (not sure if that's normal or not) but if its painful I'm a bit worried now. Any advice/ suggestions before and or after to help with the pain?
You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
thinlizzie12
on 1/11/13 3:05 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13
Tonya When you say pumps..... Do you mean drains?

Tonya E.
on 1/11/13 3:32 am
Yes... They called them pumps in the hospital. But yes they are the drains.
You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
Huneypie
on 1/11/13 3:37 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
It didn't hurt but I've had drains removed from other surgery and they felt a bit gross - not painful, just yucky. For the DS it wasn't even painful, but maybe they've placed yours deep, so if you're on 4 hourly pain meds I'd take them an hour before so they've kicked in.

Maybe your wounds a little tender and bruised so they're just being a little cautious. Don't stress too much about it though.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

lucy200683
on 1/11/13 4:50 am
DS on 12/11/12

I only had one drain but it didn't hurt when they took it out.  It felt a little weird but didn't hurt.  the nurse was very sweet.. she told me to take a deep breathe..   and blow out hard.. and as i was blowing out she slowly pulled it out.   i had to take two breathes to get it all out.. lol  that sucker is long..   but we got it out!

you will be ok..  try not to worry!   i also had to have staples removed..   those hurt worse then the drain but still..  nothing too bad!

DS w/Dr Kim  12/11/2012

clutterbunny
on 1/11/13 5:18 am - CA

I had mine removed before I left the hospital.  The upper one hurt when it was removed (but I'm a wuss anyway), the bottom one didn't.  They hurt worse when they were in...I kept having wicked muscle spasms.

PSaadallah
on 1/12/13 11:32 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

I agree that having the drain in hurt worse than having it removed.  I had no pain at all when it was removed, and it was SUCH a relief to have it out.  You'll feel much better after it's out; you can move around more freely and be more comfortable at night!

Tonya E.
on 1/12/13 11:38 am

Thank you all for responding! I am so grateful to hear that it is not as big of a deal as I created it to be. I hate have these things in me! They are in the way and so painful! I'm glad to hear once they are out things are better. Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 944 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1156 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views