Stoma / Colostomy after D/S or ANY WLS.

bigtonr65
on 2/21/13 2:03 am - Albuquerque, NM

Hello everyone, it's BEEN years since I've been here, and this is why.

May 2006, I was 5' 11" 360 lbs. and had my D/S done by Dr Keshishian in Delano. All was well.

I met a wonderful woman, and in October 2007 we welcomed our son, the first child for both of us, into the world.

In Sept. of '07 I had a real serious stricture that required surgery. But other than that, I was still doing great. Running two to three miles every Saturday and Sunday, hiking and generally enjoying my new life.

In August of '08 i had some routine labs drawn for Dr. K. Three days later, on a Saturday, someone from the lab called and started asking questions about how I was feeling.  They then asked if I was near a hospital, and if so, it's name and location. They put me on hold, get back on the line, and told me to go the E.R. that I was close to RIGHT NOW. I was told staff would be waiting for me.

Long story short, I was given two whole units of blood and was scheduled to see a GI Doc. A week later, the BOMB DROPS; Stage four colo-rectal cancer.

Anyway, the chemo and radiation has left me with all sorts of issues: anal fistula, slow gut, rectal spasms, IBS, ileas / obstructions etc. At the time of my colorectomy a stoma / colostomy had been discussed but was deemed not neccesary. Now, I'm not not so sure. My quality of life has gone to hell.

So, my question to all of you, have any of you heard of someone getting a stoma / colostomy after WLS?

Thanks everyone,

Tony

Valerie G.
on 2/21/13 3:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My grandmother had that and my biggest concern would be the small size of the bags that you attach to the stoma.  I know that I could fill those bags several times over in the morning.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jzwife
on 2/21/13 3:25 am

I am so sorry Tony. I hope and pray that you will be able to get your life back and you will be able to figure what needs to be done for you to have that quality. I wish I had answers for you- I don't . I CAN pray that all will be well and work out for you. I have a young friend who just had colon and stomach cancer. They were going to do the colostmy bag but decided against it.   Even  tho she has lost a tremendous amount of weight and gone thru all the chemo and radiation she is getting her life back and is doing well once again. I pray the same for you that your hell will go away and you can once again enjoy your life.

Sharon

Huneypie
on 2/21/13 4:45 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Hi Tony, it's something I think about as I have an aunt with a colostomy bag and I share Valerie's concern about the bag being big enough.  I'm sorry for what you've been through and wish you the very best for the future.  Please keep us posted re how you get on.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

thinlizzie12
on 2/21/13 5:05 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13
So sorry to hear about your story. I work a lot with colostomies. Some are just needed for a few months to calm things down inside so hopefully you can do that. They will educated you on how to care for it. It takes some getting used too. Honestly..Iwas wondering if ds poo is as bad as ostomy poo.....I think ds poo is a hell of a lot worse! Anyways....make sure they know you would like a 500 to 1000 ml bag attached...the posts are correct about filling it up in one sitting. The bags can be emptied and burped whenever needed....and also changed. Like Isaid it takes some getting used to BUT with all you have been through I do not doubt that you can't handle it. Praying for you!

bigtonr65
on 2/25/13 2:33 am - Albuquerque, NM

Thanks for the info, I hadn't EVEN thought about post D/S output and bag size...

Something to think about.

A. C
on 2/21/13 5:36 am
I am so sorry !
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 792 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 265 views