Why Choose DS as a Lightweight

bellacherie
on 7/21/13 3:08 am - Alanson, MI

I really want a revision to a ds from my RnY, but i need help convincing my doctor of this.  i see him next week. can you guys help me?

RnY 09/09/11
waiting for approval of DS
HW - 242     LW-137    CW - 195    
Huneypie
on 7/21/13 3:24 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Do you need to take NSAIDs?  Do you have bad dumping episodes?  Any co-morbidities that weight loss would resolve, like apnea, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia?  This link might give you some more ideas http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

airbender
on 7/21/13 9:10 am

why do you want a revision?  it is your body?  I think you need to give more info on why YOU want a revision....

larra
on 7/22/13 2:38 am - bay area, CA

Assuming the doc you are seeing is the one who did your RNY, there is no way you will be able to conince him of this becaue he isn't someone who does the DS at all, let alone as a revision from RNY. RNY to DS revision is the most complex and challenging bariatric surgery presently being done. There are very few surgeons who have the skill and experience to do it. The surgeon needs to completely undo the RNY, put your stomach and intestines back together to where they originally were, and THEN do the DS.

I would recommend contacting some of the few surgeons who do this for their opinions as to whether or not the surgery is justified for your individual cir****tances (which are unknown to me) and whether or not they would do it for you. Your best prospects are Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Ara Keshishian in Glendale (near Los Angeles), or Dr. Roslin in NYC.

Larra

divamc
on 7/22/13 4:36 am - Riverview, FL

Are your ticker and CW stats current? If they are, I don't understand why you want the revision. I just had my DS as a lightweight, but I have a list of co-morbids (obstructive sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). If you don't have any of these and you just want to get those remaining pounds off, I wouldn't think the revision is justifiable. Please pardon me if I am making too many assumptions. There wasn't a lot of detail to give a better answer and judging by what's on your ticker, more surgery doesn't seem logical.

beemerbeeper
on 7/24/13 11:06 am - AL

What doc are you trying to convince?  A PCP?  Or a surgeon?  If your surgeon is not on the vetted list of DS surgeons then don't waste your breath.

IF your PCP can't understand the difference between a failed RnY and a DS then you probably need a new PCP.

Check out DSFacts.com and print out studies to take to the PCP if you need to.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 996 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1180 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 466 views