I cheated a bit on my post-op diet today--and felt 10000x better.

Nicole E.
on 8/19/13 10:53 am, edited 8/19/13 10:55 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

I had been feeling like warmed poo all day--NO energy whatsoever, sleeping all day... I felt like I ran a marathon after walking a few steps to the bathroom and nearly fell asleep on the toilet a few times. I know a lot of it came because I just had surgery Thursday, but I was really alarmed.

I had been subsisting on protein shakes (Syntrax Nectar in Fuzzy Navel--tastes like peach drink and pleghm (blegh)) and tons of water for the past few days. My mother insisted that I try to eat something 'normal' (yet soft) and chew it to mush in an attempt to gain some energy.

I had a few shreds of a cheese stick and a quarter of a slice of roast beef (sliced read-through thin), chewed it up to the point where they were complete mush, added some a teeny bit of water in my mouth to make the mush mobile and swallowed. It took me an hour to finish this.

And what do you know? I feel MUCH better. I'm not falling asleep on the toilet anymore and have a bit of energy to get around (to the fridge, haha). I had no bad reactions to this and it um...passed on right through me. I don't plan to do this again because I don't want to mess anything up, but I have to say it really helped.

Now my question is...did I completely eff something up? I don't want to be doing something wrong--but I felt like having to catch myself from falling off a toilet and potentially injuring myself was really dangerous. I know this sounds like a totally dumb newbie post-op question, but I'm quite antsy.

Irishnurse
on 8/19/13 11:24 am
DS on 04/17/13

Every surgeon has a different diet. You prolly didn't mess anything up but I would not do it again. Try your fuzzy navel mixed in Lactaid milk. It tastes like a dream cycle. I did not like it in plain water either. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Nicole E.
on 8/19/13 11:30 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

Thanks for the information. I don't plan to do this again. As for my post-op diet, I'm on full liquids now (but can't down even low-sodium broth or cream of soups because they're too darn salty), and will progress to mushies on Thursday. Two weeks later I'll be on soft foods and two weeks later I can start my 'regular' diet.

Ooh, I will have to try that! It's barely drinkable in its basic form and I have to force myself to drink it.

celticfaery
on 8/23/13 3:00 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

I couldn't do the shakes most days..  too sweet!!!  Needed savory!!!  Try some ricotta mixed with marinara sauce.  If that's too thick then add some heavy cream to thin it out.  mmmmm...  so freaking good!!!!

And I never liked ricotta before.  =) 

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

meq815
on 8/19/13 11:53 am - PA

Aren't mothers great?????   I'd never missed mine more than i did those first weeks post op :-(

J G.
on 8/19/13 4:25 pm

hmmm...Lactaid makes a cottage cheese.  You could run that thru a blender and then juice your own tomato and add it.  Or maybe a little onion powder...

Valerie G.
on 8/19/13 9:43 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Some docs tread very lightly about eating like with RNY.  I was eating soft foods my last day in the hospital, and released to eat whatever was soft enough to mush with a fork (not that I had to mu**** - but it was a guideline).  Ricotta cheese may be a great transition food if you should start feeling this way again,  It's nice, soft and full of protein (28g per cup).  You can sweeten it or make it savory like lasagna.  It is still my go-to food if I'm trying to boost my protein consumption.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Huneypie
on 8/20/13 3:00 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

I 'cheated' in both phases of my DS and had scrambled egg at almost a week out when I was meant to be on liquids only.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

~~Sami~~ *.
on 8/20/13 3:53 am, edited 8/20/13 3:54 am - Jacksonville, FL

It's been awhile, but one of the first foods I remember having post-op was an egg custard made with lactaid milk, splenda, and vanilla.  It tasted like heaven.  (I think the recipe was from Bariatric Advantage.)

A soft scrambled egg will be a lot easier on your tummy than roast beef.

If you're on liquids, don't forget things like broths and such.  Maybe a nice soft egg drop soup? Heat up some chicken broth, beat an egg in w/salt and pepper, and then squeeze in some lemon.  

Another early out food was runny oatmeal made/cooked in Lactaid milk for protein.

You can also actually call your surgeon or nutritionist, explain your issues, and ask what he/she suggests.  

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

SHFT_2
on 8/20/13 7:59 am - Grand Rapids, MI

I sort of cheated as well. I couldn't choke down more than 1-2 protein shakes a day at the most. I chewed on a chicken sausage and spit it out. It took me an hour to chew the whole thing, but I never swallowed more than the juice. I did the same thing with a little chicken salad my husband was eating. I don't think I messed anything up. I lost 19 pounds the frist two weeks.

DS completed on 7/29/13

HW 379 SW 354  CW 190

Down 189 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 538 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 934 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 312 views