Thursday and Friday Roll Call AND Alaska - well we survived . . .

ChristineB
on 6/4/15 7:22 pm, edited 6/5/15 3:46 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

We had a fantastic time in Seattle, rode the ferry, walked until we were exhausted, had a nice central hotel location, went to Boeing, Pike Market, went to mass at the Cathedral, ate well and then boarded the ship. I saw Mt Rainier from the deck and I was thrilled.

We experienced some great repeat ports, went whale watching (Chris), glaciers, helicopter ride with two glacier landings (Dave - I went last year) . . .

And then there was Anchorage - did not see Mt. McKinley from the air because it was socked in with weather. They offered a float plane to see glaciers - wonderful until after we landed. Dave collapsed into my arms. We brought him around but not without me finding him to be bleeding profusely from both ends (in the restroom). He passed out on me in our cabin twice and the second time I called 911 on the ship phone. We had to disembark. I rode shotgun to the hospital after I packed our 4 bags. They carried our bags in the 'bambulance to the medical center. We found out later that Providence Alaska Medical Center is the best in the whole state with even the military sending their staff there. Dave did not want to leave the ship but we found out later that if he had gone onto Homer he would have been in a body bag.

He lost over half of his blood from a bleeding ulcer (and was in critical condition) in his stomach pouch near his RNY attachment to it. He had this also back in 2005. Did you know that people turn yellow when they loose a lot of their blood? He did not turn pin****il he was in the hospital for a couple of days.

The staff in ER, ICU and the regular floor were great as were the doctors that attended to him for his continuing care. I was lodged in sort of a Ronald McDonald House called the Hickel House. It was named after a former governor and secretary of the interior for the state of AK as he and his wife paid for the building of the place. The rate was inexpensive and connected to the hospital. I did not have to pay anything for a cab.

We fortunately bought travel insurance and our passage home was taken care of. They first tried to put us in economy and I spoke up and said that we paid for round trip first class and were taken care of.

Dave is tired, shaken and knows that he should have let me call the first time he passed out on the ship for the doc. We had already have booked another cruise before this happened thru the Panama Canal (again) for next March. He will be smarter this time and listen to me.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

LisaTucker
on 6/5/15 6:06 am - IL

Chris,You had a scary experience. You and Dave were so lucky for it to happen where it did. I often had wondered what would happen if you needed to leave the cruise.I am happy that this did not stop you from wanting to go again. Losing blood is scary. Especially if you don't know why it was happening. It happened to me in 2003. It lasted 6 months of transfusions sometime twice a week. Mine turned out to be a tear in my colon.

I am going to finally finish the shed door today. Then off to a Bellany Bros. Concert at the local collage. Before that, I need to pick up some k cups. I am almost out of them.  Tomorrow, we are meeting our kids for a late lunch at Starved Rock State Park,

Have a great day.

Hugs,

Lisa

Phatchick
on 6/5/15 7:09 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Hi Peeps,

Chris, thank God Dave is ok.........u must have been terrified! Glad u guys are home safe.

i've been busy all week working and babysitting. Today, I am starting the weekend early with just a bit of cleaning and laundry. 

I got a bunch of pepper, tomato and basil plants unexpectedly, so I have to go get some more organic compost and get them planted today. 

I was asked to make enchiladas last Tuesday at the restaurant for a private banquet for Ford dealers. Since the owner fired the cook, he was in a pickle. So I not only served at the banquet, I made 200 enchiladas. I also made the mole from scratch. It was a hit. My boss asked me if I ever considered being a partner in a restaurant? He needs a business partner with lots of business sense and experience which I have, but working with someone who is so greedy and cheap with his staff turns me off. He also would never listen to anything I suggest.

Well I am off.

Hugs,

Sharon

crystal M.
on 6/5/15 7:47 am - Joliet, IL

Hello everyone

OMG Christine that is some scary stuff.  Thank God all is well.  Men can be stubborn sometimes when it comes to things like doctors.  I have a feeling I will have that trouble with Greg...being stubborn about the doctor, that is. 

Today after work I am finally going to Home Depot and buying some flower pots and flowers.  I have put it off long enough.  I am also buying some mulch and some extra soil so I can mix it in when I till the garden.  It's a very dense soil and I need to break it up.  After that I can think about getting some flowers for my flower bed.  There is little to no sunlight so my flower options are narrowed a bit.  Especially for the flowers on the porch...no sun will get to them.  On the back patio though....lots of sun.  I am just going to get premade potted plant that you see in front of the Walmart or Home Depot for the back patio. 

I was a little annoyed with my aunt making a big deal on Facebook about my wedding.  I have only been talking about this for 6 months now.  It's not like I have been hiding it???  She is well intended but I will not be inviting her to the reception party after the wedding...that you are all going to.  She is...and I am not exaggerating at all...a full on biker chick.  And I don't mean a harmless "oh she rides a bike" biker chick.  I mean she associates with members of the Outlaw biker gang.  If you don't know who they are Google them.  They are no good.  Her fiancé is an Outlaw and so is her son.  If you go on her Facebook page she is always ranting about police or "pigs" and kicking someone's ass or biker life.  And I don't need that at a nice backyard BBQ.  When I tell you my whole family is trashy.  I mean it.  I only associate with her on Facebook.  She seems like she is a good grandma and mom and she is family (that is the only reason I talk to her on Facebook) .  But she parties hard and hangs out with the wrong kind of people.  So people seeing that on Facebook and don't know the background are probably wondering....what is going on??? Why doesn't Crystal talk to her Aunt about important life events.  But whatever.   

Well time to get back to work.  have a good day

Nancy G.
on 6/6/15 9:10 pm - La Salle, IL

Crystal

After fighting Rick for 3 years about going to the doctor I have finally hit on the solution.  At least with him!  He whines like a big baby when he is sick.  So now I tell him I will not listen to him complain about being sic****il he goes to the doctor!  Of course I only do that when I think he really needs a doctor.  And it has worked!  It has made my life a lot easier and it has helped him get to the doctor sooner rather than wait too long.  

Cat Lady

Nancy G.
on 6/6/15 9:07 pm - La Salle, IL

Chris

I am glad you had a good time on vacation, but so sorry for the horrible ending.  That had to be VERY scary!  Not the finale for a good vacation that I would have picked.  I am so glad that Dave made it through this ordeal and you too!  It would be so frightening to have such a major emergency so far from home! It sounds like you were both given excellent care.  I am so glad you are settled back in at home and our planning another cruise.  I hope Dave has a fast recovery! 

Cat Lady

Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1092 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5614 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5358 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5388 views
Thursday Roll Call