will I have alot of loose skin

browneyes65
on 5/8/13 3:54 pm - IN

So I'm 48 years old 4"11 and 275lbs, I know that's terrible. I'm always hearing you will have so much loose skin and yes I know because I'm so short and have alot of weight to loose I will say that worries me. Has anyone had this problem ?  I don't think I will be able to pay for tummy tuck. Thanks

JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/13 4:37 am

I have a lot of loose skin, but my tummy is not the problem.  The loose skin, with uneven fat deposits is on my thighs. My body type is that of a "pear"...I carried my weight in my butt and thighs.  My loose skin has created a medical issue for me, making me prone to cellulitis attacks (infection of the fat layer directly under the skin)  that I never had when I was obese.

Whether or not you will have loose skin depends on age, genetics  how much weight you're carrying and the size of your frame...whether you're big boned, average or small boned., and how long you've been carrying it.  at 4'11' and 275 pounds  and 48, if you have good genes, and your skin is not prone to wrinkles, it probably still has very good elasticity. and there's a better chance that it will "snap back" after you lose the weight.  I was obese from first grade on, with periods of "okay-ness"  (not slim, but  "large average" size in my high school years) so my skin was stretched out almost my entire life. Facially I look younger than 55, but my body skin has been damaged from being stretched out so long.

The rapid weight loss also contributes to skin sagginess, because the skin doesn't have time to adjust to the new size. Again, some people just have to wait for the skin to catch up, others aren't so lucky.

Everything about WLS is a trade-off, and some of the effects you have to ask yourself if you can live with them.  For me, losing the weight was more important that saggy skin, but now that the skin has become a medical issue, I have to fight the medicos again to have it removed.  My doctor keeps excellent records, which prove that the cellulitis is a direct effect of the loose skin. 

By the way, since I was small on top, I had much less body fat there, and so, "The Girls" are gone.  Almost totally empty, except for some glandular tissue.  I need breast implants, but in the meantime, thank God for padded bras!

There is no cream or other preparation that will tighten your skin, so really it all boils down to what you got genetically, and there's no way of knowing until the weight is gone...well, there probably is a way of knowing through genetic testing, but most people don't have that kind of money, and insurance won't cover it unless it's for a bona fide condition, like burns or deformities you have had from birth. 

Loose skin after WLS could be considered a deformity, but it would take lots of fighting the insurance companies to get it covered, I'm sure.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MyBariatricLife
on 6/16/13 2:21 am

Yes, you will have a lot of sagging skin and redundant fat. My advice is to start tucking away money for your plastic surgery now. It is the completion of your weight loss surgery. Otherwise, you will have a body that does not look normal. I finally had a TT and I am in love!!!

You may read about my experience here: http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/160586/bariatr ic-abdominoplasty-ch?ap=831

There are affordable options for a tummy tuck. Some insurance companies will cover removal of the panni. There also is financing. Or you can go to Mexico. My TT was only $7100 with a renown surgeon in NJ who specializes in WLS patients. I live in Indy now but I will go back to him for more body work when the time is right. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
Recent Topics