South bend Indiana

browneyes65
on 5/14/13 5:00 pm - IN

Has anyone had  weight loss surgery here, what type of surgery. Where did you go for the surgery ?

JazzyOne9254
on 5/21/13 3:54 am, edited 5/21/13 4:00 am

I had my Duodenal Switch February 25th, 2009 at St. Vincent's Bariatric Center of Excellence.  It is the only hospital in the state that performs the DS, but they also perform all the other surgeries, too. I don't know how experienced the surgeons are in South Bend, but I know they weren't doing my surgery in 2009, and last time I checked, they had no plans to add it.  If you want the DS, it's either Chicago or Indianapolis/Carmel.   Actually, St. Vincent's in Carmel attracts patients from all over.  They've gotten a little sloppy with their information, but the surgeons and facilities are top of the line for bariatric/WLS patients.

My surgery was fully covered by Medicare and Medicaid. The surgery is part of my plan to get off disability.  I've hit some roadblocks, but I'm still pressing on! 

I accumulate some expenses with co-pays having my labs drawn, but I eventually get them paid.

The most important thing is to get with a vetted surgeon at a Center of Excellence to have your surgery.  I believe this site has a tool to search for them.  It's been a while since I used it.

I know for a fact Memorial does RNY and Lap (Crap)Band, but it is not yet a Center of Excellence.  Many insurances require that the surgery be done in in a COE hospital.  They will list the doctors and groups that accept your particular insurance in your benefits booklet., and many now have an online search tool.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics