X-POST -St. Vincent DSers esp. newbies: Beware education packet! Gives RNY info for DS...

JazzyOne9254
on 5/21/13 3:43 am

I went down for my surgeon visit May 13th, and after coming home and going over my labs, I e-mailed one of the NUTS with a question.

She replied, and sent me the "new" DS packet, which is simply RNY information with a DS cover slapped on it.  

I know, because i compared it to the packet of a RNY in my support group (I have a general WLS group.  Only 3 DSers in town, including me).

You will get nowhere with any of the NUTS in getting the correct info.  It bears the date 4/2013 as the last update.

I spoke with a NUT who was very defensive about it (not naming names) in an e-mail, said it was approved by the surgeon.

Spoke with the surgeon's nurse, and e-mailed, to let them know what happened. Not sure if any action was taken, since they were all adamant that 75-90 g protein is correct for DS, when the material I initially got in 2009 says 90-100g. 

Also incorrect about what type of iron we should take gives three forms, and we can only absorb heme,  no mention of ADEKs, etc.  All vitamin guielines listed are for the RNY !

Perhaps *someone on this board with more juice at St. V's * can get through to them.  They won't listen to me. I called them and my surgeon's office and e-mailed, and was pretty much blown off.

Sad, because I'm damn near 5 years out, and the DS rules I got from the beginning in 2009 are burned into my brain!  I'm not talking out the side of my neck on this!

This could really get a lot of people really sick really fast especially immediate post ops! 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

saterry
on 6/7/13 3:49 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Have the guidelines changed ? I know research changes protocols all the time, sometimes quickly. Just a thought....

JazzyOne9254
on 6/7/13 4:42 am

I'm not sure, I'll look into it, but with the higher malabsorption rate of the DS, I would not expect for protein intake to be decreased.

JazzyOne9254
on 9/9/13 3:31 am

To answer your question - the protein guidelines have *not* changed.  In fact the recommendations for several vites have actually *increased*!

Lee Ann B.
on 9/23/13 10:15 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 11/14/12

When I went for my pre-op nutrition class they were pretty good about pointing out what applies to ds and what goes with the RNY and we weeded out my packet as we edited the info. I was fortunate enough to have someone who was aware of the changes but am concerned as well for others who may not and them have issues due to info in the packets.

saterry
on 9/26/13 11:48 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Had pre op diet class and now the folders are different colors for different surgeries.

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

JazzyOne9254
on 9/29/13 5:42 am

saterry-

The sheets have always been different colors for different surgeries,  DS was pink when I had mine.  The issue for me is with the information printed on them.  It was 90-100g when I went through.  It could have been lowered.

I'm sure protocol changes, but for me, if I don't stick to the higher values, I get deficient very fast.

Most Active
Recent Topics