University of Chicago

Jen1014
on 7/22/13 12:25 pm
Hi all!! I am a newbie here and was wondering if anyone here has had the bypass at University of Chicago? I am meeting with the surgeon, dietician and psychologist on August 14th and was wondering what to expect. Thanks in advance for any info you can share
JazzyOne9254
on 7/28/13 9:06 am

While you're there, check into the Duodenal Switch.  They were among the pioneers of that procedure, back when it was considered "experimental", about 15 years ago!

U of C has always been on the cutting edge of medical care, so I think you'll be in good hands there.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Jen1014
on 7/28/13 9:17 am
Hey Jazzy thanks for the reply! I have been reading about the DS and can't wait for my appointment to discuss which one will work best for me. I have some esophageal motility issues and aggressive GERD so I have had multiple procedures there in regards to these issues and was very impressed with the GI dept. I asked my GI to check into which bypass would be more beneficial for me and if I am indeed a candidate for any of them so he talked to Dr. Prachand and he stated he thought the regular bypass would be my only option but I wanna talk about the DS as well. I am very excited to begin my new life!
JazzyOne9254
on 7/28/13 11:58 am

I also have GERD.  I was told that the RNY would cure it, and that might be true, because the pouch that you're left with produces little if any HCl (hydrochloric acid) which breaks down the food we eat. 

I chose the DS because my size was a bigger issue (no pun intended) for me than GERD, and I have no problem taking a PPI for life, just like I have no problem taking supplements for life, or Rx drugs for my autoimmune issues. 

The doctors usually promote the surgery that they perform, so if Dr. Prachand is not a DS surgeon (there are only 75 of them worldwide, to date) then he's going to give you the surgery that he does. 

Losing down to a weight where I could live a more normal life, and not experience regain was more important to me.

You have to make the decision what's more important to you.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics