Ask Dr. Curry?

laurapicard
on 2/10/09 12:48 am
Hi Dr Curry,

I just finished reading all the posts that have been posted here between you and everyone.  I was banded with the Realize band a week ago.  I so excited and optomistic about my future until I read all of these posts.  I am only 31 and was hoping this would be my answer to healthy weight for atleast the next 20 - 30 years.  I am now about to have a panic attack when I think of all that could go wrong. 

I am a cash pay patient and the idea of having to have all these tests and follow up surgeries that could occur are really concerning me.  I really  had to convince my husband this was the answer for me.  If a bunch of things go wrong, I don't know how we will feel.  What does the typical banded patient look like 10, 20, 30 years down the road?  I appreciate anything you can tell me to put my mind at ease (while being completely honest).

Thank you,
Laura
DrC
on 2/17/09 9:36 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On February 10, 2009 at 8:48 AM Pacific Time, laurapicard wrote:
Hi Dr Curry,

I just finished reading all the posts that have been posted here between you and everyone.  I was banded with the Realize band a week ago.  I so excited and optomistic about my future until I read all of these posts.  I am only 31 and was hoping this would be my answer to healthy weight for atleast the next 20 - 30 years.  I am now about to have a panic attack when I think of all that could go wrong. 

I am a cash pay patient and the idea of having to have all these tests and follow up surgeries that could occur are really concerning me.  I really  had to convince my husband this was the answer for me.  If a bunch of things go wrong, I don't know how we will feel.  What does the typical banded patient look like 10, 20, 30 years down the road?  I appreciate anything you can tell me to put my mind at ease (while being completely honest).

Thank you,
Laura
Laura,
You have to realize (pun intended) that the vast majority of patients who are doing great, losing weight, and getting healthier do not hang out on this forum.  Often times people who are having issues come here to find out solutions to their problems.  The results may seem very skewed because of this.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
heyyou
on 2/10/09 4:43 am
I was banded the end of June 2007 by Dr. Eldo Frezza, well my weight loss really never took off it is really non-existed. The first fill I got the end of August 2007 was 5cc in 10cc band (thought it was two) the second fill was another 5cc first of October 2007. In that timeframe I only lost 5 lbs. Then in first of April 2007 – I asked my Dr. how much I actually had - this why I found out that I had 5cc at each fill. He pulled out all the saline and then re-inserted back – on the why found home from Lubbock Texas (actually 7 hrs away from home). I got sick half way home ended up in the ER the next morning – nobody here in Albuquerque knew how to handle this situation and the Dr. in Lubbock never called back the ER docs. Finally a Radiology doc took out 4 to 6 cc out. By then my wonderful Dr. left his practice (too many lawsuits) to practice somewhere else. Then I got a referral to another Dr. in El Paso, Texas (no closer drs in the area), which I saw in October 2008 and was fill with 3cc for a total of 9cc in 10cc band. In December 17, 2008 had another fill for .5cc for total of 9.5cc (no weight lost in between) – by December 26, 2008 I had to go back up to El Paso for unfill (3cc) and nights stay at the hospital there because I was throwing up everything including water. I have not lost any weight since my initial weight in the beginning (10-12 lbs) – I have followed the band rules. I even had an GI test done before I went to my new doc to see if my band was in the right place – which it was.   I’m just so angry and frustrated with this band – I would like to maybe try taking phentrmine for my weight lost – has anyone tired them while being banded?
DrC
on 2/17/09 9:37 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On February 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, heyyou wrote:
I was banded the end of June 2007 by Dr. Eldo Frezza, well my weight loss really never took off it is really non-existed. The first fill I got the end of August 2007 was 5cc in 10cc band (thought it was two) the second fill was another 5cc first of October 2007. In that timeframe I only lost 5 lbs. Then in first of April 2007 – I asked my Dr. how much I actually had - this why I found out that I had 5cc at each fill. He pulled out all the saline and then re-inserted back – on the why found home from Lubbock Texas (actually 7 hrs away from home). I got sick half way home ended up in the ER the next morning – nobody here in Albuquerque knew how to handle this situation and the Dr. in Lubbock never called back the ER docs. Finally a Radiology doc took out 4 to 6 cc out. By then my wonderful Dr. left his practice (too many lawsuits) to practice somewhere else. Then I got a referral to another Dr. in El Paso, Texas (no closer drs in the area), which I saw in October 2008 and was fill with 3cc for a total of 9cc in 10cc band. In December 17, 2008 had another fill for .5cc for total of 9.5cc (no weight lost in between) – by December 26, 2008 I had to go back up to El Paso for unfill (3cc) and nights stay at the hospital there because I was throwing up everything including water. I have not lost any weight since my initial weight in the beginning (10-12 lbs) – I have followed the band rules. I even had an GI test done before I went to my new doc to see if my band was in the right place – which it was.   I’m just so angry and frustrated with this band – I would like to maybe try taking phentrmine for my weight lost – has anyone tired them while being banded?
You try any type of medical weight loss program along with a band.  There is no medical reason you can't, as long as it's in line with band eating rules.  Sorry about these issues, move to Cincy and maybe I can help you!

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
mpaie
on 2/10/09 7:51 am - MA
Hi Dr. Curry,
Thanks for making yourself available to all us banders.  I have 1 question.  I am 5 days post op and the pain in my left shoulder is crazy.  I know that it has to do with aggrevation of the diaphram during surgery, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to alieve it besides a heating pad, I have to work......  How long should I expect this pain to last??

Thanks Again
DrC
on 2/17/09 9:38 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On February 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Pacific Time, mpaie wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,
Thanks for making yourself available to all us banders.  I have 1 question.  I am 5 days post op and the pain in my left shoulder is crazy.  I know that it has to do with aggrevation of the diaphram during surgery, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to alieve it besides a heating pad, I have to work......  How long should I expect this pain to last??

Thanks Again
We recommend OTC Alleve, it seems to work pretty well, although tincture of time is the main ingredient.

Krisican2
on 2/10/09 9:46 am
Hi Dr. Curry, I was banded on 12/3/08.  I haven't lost much weight, and am trying to follow the diet as best as I can.  My question is, how many calories a day should I be eating?  I weigh 355 pounds and I work out between 45 minutes to 2 hours a day.  It is frustrating to not see the scale moving.  Am I not eating enough calories?  (I usually eat between 900 - 1400 a day).

Thank-you,
Kristy

Kristy K.
Obesity Help Support Group Leader
"On the lighter side"  Everyone and anyone welcome!

DrC
on 2/17/09 9:38 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On February 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, Krisican2 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry, I was banded on 12/3/08.  I haven't lost much weight, and am trying to follow the diet as best as I can.  My question is, how many calories a day should I be eating?  I weigh 355 pounds and I work out between 45 minutes to 2 hours a day.  It is frustrating to not see the scale moving.  Am I not eating enough calories?  (I usually eat between 900 - 1400 a day).

Thank-you,
Kristy
Kristy,
It's much more complicated than just calories alone - why don't you go over to my site at www.TheBandoctor.com and post a message on our forum there for my banded dietitians to answer.

prpleldy13
on 2/10/09 10:49 am - Culepepr, VA
Thank you in advance Dr. Curry for all of your help.

My question is, why would a friend of mine who had the band, same doctor, same hosp. have only 3 incisions, and I had 7. Why such a big difference. Thanks again.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtkqLmO/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtkqLmO/weight.png">>

DrC
on 2/17/09 9:39 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On February 10, 2009 at 6:49 PM Pacific Time, prpleldy13 wrote:
Thank you in advance Dr. Curry for all of your help.

My question is, why would a friend of mine who had the band, same doctor, same hosp. have only 3 incisions, and I had 7. Why such a big difference. Thanks again.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtkqLmO/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wtkqLmO/weight.png">>

Hard to say - perhaps you had a big liver or some adhesions from prior surgery?  I would just ask your surgeon.

Most Active