Ask Dr. Curry?

Member Services
on 2/24/09 3:26 am - Irvine, CA
Many of you may have seen Dr. Curry around on the boards.  He gives much of his time to help pre-op and post-ops about general Lap Band questions.  If you have a question about the Lap Band for Dr. Curry please ask them here.  He will be following this thread and answering as he has time.  Thank you Dr. Curry for the time you devote to Obesityhelp.

Some information about Dr. Curry.

Dr. Curry is a board-certified general surgeon who specializes in minimally invasive weight loss surgery. He is a Cincinnati native and trained at Good Samaritan Hospital. He has performed nearly 1000 successful laparoscopic gastric bands and bypasses, making him one of the most experienced in the region at the minimally invasive technique. In fact, he completes nearly 100% of his procedures laparoscopically. He is also well-known for his accessibility, and he frequently has patients from all over the country contacting him for advice and guidance. He even spends time on the ObesityHelp.com LAP-BAND® System message board helping patients. He makes himself freely available by email. So, if you have any questions, just write to him! Click here to learn more about Dr. Curry.

To view old Ask Dr. Curry Posts click below:

Archived #1
Archived #2

Archived #3
Archived #4
Archived #5
Archived #6
Archived #7
Archived #8
Archived #9
Archived #10
Archived #11
Archived #12
Archived #13
Archived #14
Archived#15

Bren649
on 12/19/08 6:47 am, edited 12/19/08 6:48 am - Southern , CA
REALIZE Band on 05/27/08 with
Michele S.
on 12/19/08 7:28 am
Dr. Curry,

Thanks you for answering al our questions, it really helps. 

Here is my question, what would cause acid reflux with the band.  I have had acid reflux for two years, since before the band (july 08).  I am taking nexium twice a day.  I had a fill on November 18 and have had acid reflux since then I can't weem to get rid of.  I am not too tight, I can eat about 1.5 - 2 cups of solid food at a time with no problem.  I know you can't kow I was just currious what the possibilities were.  My PCP is calling my sergeon about scehduling an endscopy.  I had one beofre surgery, my surgeon insisted due to the acid reflux, and it was clear.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
Michele S.
on 12/23/08 8:53 am
Thanks Dr. Curry but never mind, I spoke with my surgeon today and we have a game plan and several possible reasons.
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.  ~Author Unknown

411 / 210 / 200
DrC
on 12/23/08 10:50 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 19, 2008 at 3:28 PM Pacific Time, Michele S. wrote:
Dr. Curry,

Thanks you for answering al our questions, it really helps. 

Here is my question, what would cause acid reflux with the band.  I have had acid reflux for two years, since before the band (july 08).  I am taking nexium twice a day.  I had a fill on November 18 and have had acid reflux since then I can't weem to get rid of.  I am not too tight, I can eat about 1.5 - 2 cups of solid food at a time with no problem.  I know you can't kow I was just currious what the possibilities were.  My PCP is calling my sergeon about scehduling an endscopy.  I had one beofre surgery, my surgeon insisted due to the acid reflux, and it was clear.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Sorry for the delay I've been swamped!

Reflux is common among bandsters.  Usually it is as a result of being too tight, could also be a result of something more significant like a slip or pouch dilation, or it could be garden variety non-band-related reflux.

Most important thing is to make sure you are not too tight and that your band is in good position.

Also avoid eating solid food for 2-3 hours prior to bed time.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
pepsi98
on 12/25/08 7:11 am - Norwich, CT
Kim A.
on 2/8/09 2:50 am
Lap Band on 10/08/07 with
Hi, Dr. Curry.  Thanks so much for all your help.

I've been diagnosed with a port leak.   Bummer.  I'm told that it can be replaced with local anesthesia (in hospital of course).  Should I insist that the band be checked for a leak as well?  What causes ports to leak anyway?  I asked if I had done something to cause it, and the surgeon assured me that I had not.
tonirose25
on 12/22/08 2:03 am
Hi Dr C., first thank  you for taking your time out.  I was banded on 11/18/08, and lost 14 lbs about 10 days after. SInce then I have been gaining, I pretty much follow the 60 60 60 rule, eating way less than i did before surgery and i am gaining its still a struggle to keep the weight off.  I do suffer from PCOS/Insulin Resistance and I was on meds  for that.  But since losing weight on my own I was taken off of the meds, and had to completely stay away from any kind of carbs. Realizing I couldnt lose any more weight on my own I decided to have the lapband.  Is it common to gain weight after you lose the water weight and before your first fill? I get my first  fill in Jan,  or is it my insulin resistance creeping up on me again?  When questioning my dr about about my insulin resistance and having me retested (GTT) he just looked at me funny. I know many drs dont quiter understand this, but he told me that is not the problem.  The dr that treated me for my insulin resistance is my GYN dr, and he doesnt want to touch me with a 10 ft pole. Any suggestions for me? And once again is it common to gain weight I  am feeling a bit  discouraged here...Thank you
DrC
on 12/23/08 10:52 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 22, 2008 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, tonirose25 wrote:
Hi Dr C., first thank  you for taking your time out.  I was banded on 11/18/08, and lost 14 lbs about 10 days after. SInce then I have been gaining, I pretty much follow the 60 60 60 rule, eating way less than i did before surgery and i am gaining its still a struggle to keep the weight off.  I do suffer from PCOS/Insulin Resistance and I was on meds  for that.  But since losing weight on my own I was taken off of the meds, and had to completely stay away from any kind of carbs. Realizing I couldnt lose any more weight on my own I decided to have the lapband.  Is it common to gain weight after you lose the water weight and before your first fill? I get my first  fill in Jan,  or is it my insulin resistance creeping up on me again?  When questioning my dr about about my insulin resistance and having me retested (GTT) he just looked at me funny. I know many drs dont quiter understand this, but he told me that is not the problem.  The dr that treated me for my insulin resistance is my GYN dr, and he doesnt want to touch me with a 10 ft pole. Any suggestions for me? And once again is it common to gain weight I  am feeling a bit  discouraged here...Thank you
I have seen this a lot - usually it takes a few fills especially in PCOS patients to get some weight loss going.  It is my impression that PCOS patients have to exercise more as well, to keep the scale moving.  That would probably be my main recommendation.  The take home here is that it takes some work to get the weight off, but you already know that!

Good luck!

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
neeka05
on 12/22/08 12:43 pm

my doc said he wouldnt do my band surgery w/o me stop smoking... which i did...my question is i hang w/ people that still smoke ...will that affect my test in anyway though im not smoking it ? thanx for your time

When life gives you lemons....squirt them in the eyes of who ever caused you problems ~neeka~

Most Active