Ask Dr. Curry?

DrC
on 12/23/08 10:52 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 22, 2008 at 8:43 PM Pacific Time, neeka05 wrote:

my doc said he wouldnt do my band surgery w/o me stop smoking... which i did...my question is i hang w/ people that still smoke ...will that affect my test in anyway though im not smoking it ? thanx for your time

Hard to say - depends on how close quarters you are with them.  There is no way to predict.
Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Julie85
on 12/22/08 11:50 pm - NY
Lap Band on 06/11/07 with
How much gas is normal with the band? I understand that there is some from surgery (not my issue right now, my revision was a month and a half ago) and it seems many have chest/gas pains from the food blocking the smaller entrance to the stomach. I'm wondering if my gas issues are band related because they are completely different that those described. I never had issues before my first surgery (6/07) and I've had it pretty much since. It's in my lower stomach and sometimes there is so much that it looks like I'm nine months pregnant (I'm not!) and gas x often doesn't help. I also have a pretty constant "pain" (not bad, more of a mild discomfort but it's pretty constant and sometimes hurts) on the bottom left of my stomach where I imagine it would hurt on the other side if I had appendicitis. Do you think this is band related? It's only been since my band but it's been constant since my initial surgery. Is there anything to do about it?

DrC
on 12/23/08 10:53 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 23, 2008 at 7:50 AM Pacific Time, Julie85 wrote:
How much gas is normal with the band? I understand that there is some from surgery (not my issue right now, my revision was a month and a half ago) and it seems many have chest/gas pains from the food blocking the smaller entrance to the stomach. I'm wondering if my gas issues are band related because they are completely different that those described. I never had issues before my first surgery (6/07) and I've had it pretty much since. It's in my lower stomach and sometimes there is so much that it looks like I'm nine months pregnant (I'm not!) and gas x often doesn't help. I also have a pretty constant "pain" (not bad, more of a mild discomfort but it's pretty constant and sometimes hurts) on the bottom left of my stomach where I imagine it would hurt on the other side if I had appendicitis. Do you think this is band related? It's only been since my band but it's been constant since my initial surgery. Is there anything to do about it?
Band patients often have more gas problems because of chewing and swallowing more than non banded patients.  Each time you swallow you ingest some air.  If you are taking tiny bites and really chewing and swallowing more, this can lead to more gas.  This is my theory at least.  You can try any OTC product with simethicone in it to see if it helps.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
delena
on 12/23/08 2:21 am - pleasant hil, TN
I have fluid collecting around my port.  One month after my surgery date my doctor removed 100 cc's of fluid.  It kind of feels like you have a baby's butt sticking up. It is noticeable - I will go back on the 9th for an adjustment.  So far i have not had any problems with my surgery. Thank you Jesus!!  I am still  loosing weight.  My question is - how long will this continue?  It has been about a week since he used a HUGE needle to remove the fluid.  I think it was more painful than the actual surgery!  There is already more fluid there. 
DeLena
DrC
on 12/23/08 10:54 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM Pacific Time, delena wrote:
I have fluid collecting around my port.  One month after my surgery date my doctor removed 100 cc's of fluid.  It kind of feels like you have a baby's butt sticking up. It is noticeable - I will go back on the 9th for an adjustment.  So far i have not had any problems with my surgery. Thank you Jesus!!  I am still  loosing weight.  My question is - how long will this continue?  It has been about a week since he used a HUGE needle to remove the fluid.  I think it was more painful than the actual surgery!  There is already more fluid there. 
Usually it is gone within a month or two.  Hang in there!

carolw1229
on 12/24/08 1:14 am
VSG on 10/18/17
Hi Dr. Curry,
I had my Realize Band surgery on 12-10 and I am feeling great. My surgeon scheduled me for my Floro first fill on Jan. 13 and told me he is now doing 6cc on the first fill instead of his usual 3cc. I was surprised to hear that I would be getting that high of a first fill. Most posts on these boards with Realize Bands are about 3cc. What is your recommendation on this and what is your standard first fill for the Realize band. My band is the original 9cc band.
Many thanks,
Carol
DrC
on 12/24/08 1:17 am - Cincinnati, OH
On December 24, 2008 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, carolw1229 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,
I had my Realize Band surgery on 12-10 and I am feeling great. My surgeon scheduled me for my Floro first fill on Jan. 13 and told me he is now doing 6cc on the first fill instead of his usual 3cc. I was surprised to hear that I would be getting that high of a first fill. Most posts on these boards with Realize Bands are about 3cc. What is your recommendation on this and what is your standard first fill for the Realize band. My band is the original 9cc band.
Many thanks,
Carol
If you are having fluoro with the first fill it shouldn't be a problem, as your surgeon should assess the tightness of the adjustment immediately.  I have had patients who tolerate 6cc's, but usually it's more in the range of 4-5 cc's.  The new C band holds an extra 2cc's so that'll be a totally different adjustment profile.
pepsi98
on 12/25/08 7:14 am - Norwich, CT
Hi Dr. Curry,
I was banded on 12/10 and I am also experiencing reflux.  I know I ate dinner too late last night and that is probably why, but I have had occasions in the last 2 weeks with heartburn.  With only being 2 weeks out, and no saline in the band, do you find this unusual?  Could something have happened to my band already?

Thanks so much for all the time you devote to this forum!!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

DrC
on 12/26/08 12:47 am - Cincinnati, OH
On December 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,
I was banded on 12/10 and I am also experiencing reflux.  I know I ate dinner too late last night and that is probably why, but I have had occasions in the last 2 weeks with heartburn.  With only being 2 weeks out, and no saline in the band, do you find this unusual?  Could something have happened to my band already?

Sue
Sue,

I have seen this before where reflux persists for a few weeks after surgery.  Sometimes it doesn't go away, sometimes it does.  I usually recommend OTC prilosec for starters, but you would definitely want to let Dr. Shikora know before doing anything.

pepsi98
on 12/26/08 8:43 am - Norwich, CT
On December 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM Pacific Time, DrC wrote:
On December 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,

Sue
Sue,

I have seen this before where reflux persists for a few weeks after surgery.  Sometimes it doesn't go away, sometimes it does.  I usually recommend OTC prilosec for starters, but you would definitely want to let Dr. Shikora know before doing anything.

Thank you Dr. Curry...I was given a script for Pepcid 20 mgs BID so I will start to remember to take it faithfully, and will let Dr. Shikora know if it persists.  I am relieved to know, though, that you have seen this before and that it is probably one of those things that is not totally unusual post op.  I was worried because about 5 days post op I had the dry heaves and lost so much blood into my tissues (I'm on Coumadin for Protein S deficiency) that I needed 2 units of blood and was worried that it may have caused something to happen to my band , hence the reflux.  That was my train of thought and I'm very glad to have gotten your input.

What would be the reason that reflux would persist?  If it does persist, have you found that these patients have not been successful with the band?

Thanks again Dr. Curry!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active