Has anyone had a band over an old gastric bypass?

karenwhiting
on 5/20/11 2:53 am
I am looking into putting a band over my old (1980) gastric bypass.  I don't want to go to the expense (as insurance doesn't cover it) if it doesn't work well!  Help!  I need your input!
Bette B.
on 5/20/11 2:57 am
 Quite a few people have. LisaBeeZee (see the post below yours) is one of them.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 3:48 am - San Diego, CA
Hi Karen,

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I am THRILLED with my success thus far with my B.O.B. (Band-Over-Bypass).  Original RNY surgery was in 2001, lost down to my goal weight, maintained that weight for 6 years, then ballooned up again over a couple of years.  My BOB revision surgery was in 5/09.  I have lost down to 30 lbs UNDER my goal (now weigh 119) and have maintained that loss with ease for over 16 months.

Any other questions, let me know (either here or you can send me an "e-mail" via personal message on this site).  Also, my blog entries reflect my experience in greater detail.

:)  I was a self-pay also and it has been the BEST money I ever spent!!!!

jules777
on 5/20/11 3:49 am - CA
I am a BOB-er (band over bypass) I had my bypass in 1992 and my band in Jan 2011, I am doing great!!! I was so thrilled that I could have a second chance at weight loss surgery, actually there are quite a few of us on here. 

The band is way different than they bypass so you need to be mentally prepared for that but to me that was a good thing. I realized that I had to put forth the effort to really make life long lifestyle changes. What's so great about the band is that you can have that feeling of restriction back, and its adjustable.

If you do your research be willing to work on the problems that caused you to regain the weight and find a good surgeon in my opinion you will not regret having it done. My insurance didn't cover it, they deemed it, "not medically necessary", so I went outside the U.S. to have mine done.

Hope that helps, and good luck to you!!! If you have any other questions write me...

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 3:52 am - San Diego, CA
"LIKE"
MurphysMom
on 5/20/11 11:47 am - CA

Lisa--Your new picture is beautiful!!
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 12:51 pm - San Diego, CA
Thanks!!...I call my new look "The Evolution of Lisa B."  LOLLLLLL  A new 'do for a new healthy, happy me! :)
karenwhiting
on 5/20/11 4:39 am
Thanks, Bette and Lisa!  You're giving me great information.  I'll keep you updated!
ShrinkingHopefully
on 5/20/11 8:18 am
Am a bobette since March 23rd 2011. Original RNY 9 years ago. I am just starting to get into the swing of things now and realizing I have a lot or emotional work ahead of me but still right decision. need to chat were all here.
Nikki4381
on 5/21/11 1:00 pm - NJ
Soo glad I found this topic.....  Gives me hope and makes me feel better I am not the only one with the tiny voice saying what if this doesn't work (a person can only think happy thoughts for so long lol)

I will be going in on Monday for a band over bypass and I don't know if I'm more excited or nervous....

Wish you nothing but luck with any decision you make!! 

Nikki

Most Active