more than a couple years post-op?

lostandfound1
on 6/23/11 2:17 pm
I am new to this forum so please be patient with me. :)

I had my Lap Band surgery in May 2008.  I have lost 73 pounds from my highest weight.  I am still working on losing more.

Due to some unusual cir****tances shortly before and after my surgery (including the death of both my parents), I am still working through a lot of issues with weight loss and WLS despite being 3 years post-op. 

I would love to have others that are a few years out to communicate and share thoughts with (purely online)....anyone else interested?  Are there other groups like this already started?

Any suggestions would be great!  Looking forward to hearing back.
Jean M.
on 6/23/11 9:45 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
There is an OH forum for people who've banded for a year or more that might be helpful for you. Here's a link to it:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bandgrads/

You'll have to request access to the Band Grads messageboard because it's a private forum. I'm not sure what the membership criteria are (other than being at least one year post-op). The forum leaders are fussy about checking out new members because unfortunately, open forums tend to get cluttered with members with complicated agendas that seem to have little to do with support.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

brock2006
on 6/23/11 11:19 pm
I had my WLS on 08/21/06 (so ALMOST 5 years ago).

I lost 119 lbs fairly quickly, in 2 years.  Then the mess started.  I was kind of in a bad place emotional there for awhile, plus, a lot of crap went down.  A lotof good things happened too, met my wife, dated, got married, now expecting a kid.  But I digress.  Weight loss, or maintanence, was the LAST thing on my mind.  I gained 95 of those pounds back in those 2 1/2 years.

Now I am 297.  Struggling, but gonna succeed.  Welcome to the board!
Zee Starrlite
on 6/24/11 12:08 am
Brock, have you tried Weigh****chers in collaboration with your band?  If you have no issues with your band and you are just not using it right that program would probably help you.  Plus your a guy.  Weigh****chers is pretty much dominated by woman - the handful of guys we get at meetings (when I used to go) are treated like kings.  True, we fussed about our men there and they were inspired.  If you go, absolutely no need to mention you have a band.

Now would be a really great time for you to get your weight= health right with your baby coming.  You want to get this in control so that you don't pass your habits onto your youngen. Plus you want to be able to run after him/her for the many years to come.

Best to you,
Leila

P.S. I will go back to WW after I lose the bulk of my weight.  It is a nice sense of community, accountability, support.  You just need to find a good meeting.  NYC is flooded with them so I got to explore and find many I liked and 2 I love.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

brock2006
on 6/24/11 12:51 am
I am giving my new plan, of cutting out sweets and soda, until August 18 (my extended family visits).  If I don't lose 18 lbs. by then (gets me back in the 270's), I'm going to do WW. 

I'm just desperately trying to save save save now.
Zee Starrlite
on 6/24/11 1:10 am

Any way you do it is fine as long as you do it.  What is so different for you this time around is it is not just about you, it is about your family and attempting to preserve good health and a good life for you all. 

In terms of saving, saving your health is much more important than saving a couple of dollars.  WW is not the end all be all so I am not pushing that at all, I'm just sayin'

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

brock2006
on 6/24/11 2:03 am
Yes, it IS different.

My uncle is PROBABLY gonna die TODAY from unmanaged diabetes.  I don't want to put my family through that.  I need to change before it hits me!
healthyonmyway
on 6/24/11 4:45 am - FL
That is what got me going. I lost my aunt to diabetes in October. It was very painful and an eye opener for me. I felt like I was playing Russian roulette with my life. I started that same month with supervised weigh ins and met with the surgeon. May 25th I was banded and I haven't looked back since. Best of wishes to you!!

4/10/11 Start weight 250; 5/25/11 Surgery weight 237.50        
brock2006
on 6/24/11 4:50 am
And to you.  Good luck!
lostandfound1
on 6/24/11 10:03 am
Just saying thanks for the replies and I wish everyone the best.  I certainly understand that the road is not an easy one!
Most Active