Concerns about popcorn intake

mstrip59
on 12/26/11 7:06 am

Hey everyone,
long time not writing on OH but I have a question. In order to cut out my tendency to want to eat sugar based snacks I have been eating popcorn that I make myself with olive oil, a little butter (1 tsp) with some pepper and a little season salt. The problem is that I'm eating it alto. I'm concern about the impact of this on my band such as a slip or it distending.

Any help is appreciated.

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 7:35 am - Barryton, MI
Ask your Doctor , See what he or She thinks !!
coachgrrl
on 12/26/11 8:49 am
 I don't seem to have any problems with popcorn except that it's a slider for me.  So I try to only eat it at the movies as a treat and I share it. But I know some people have had issues with it with their band...maybe Lisa?

Amy D.
on 12/27/11 3:36 am - Stratford, Canada
 Popcorn is something that I found I could eat a lot of but have stopped eating it because the nurse at my band clinic said that there are increased risks with eating popcorn as the kernels can scratch as they go through the band and cause erosion.  I have no clue how true this is but it scared me enough to lay off the popcorn. :) 
Jean M.
on 12/27/11 6:18 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I'll speak for Lisa O. because I know she's distracted by moving her elderly mom into a nursing/rehab center right now.

A while back, Lisa was indulging in popcorn, in generous amounts, on a daily basis, until her stoma and esophagus got so irritated that she had to have a large unfill. Large unfills mean more hunger, more food capacity, and a big challenge for managing food intake and preventing weight gain.

And speaking for me, I've avoided popcorn because my nutritionist said the hulls can accumulate in the stoma and create a bezoar (a hard mass created by ingestion of indigestible material like popcorn hulls, vegetable/fruit seeds and peels, etc. A bezoar can block the stoma so badly that your surgeon would have to scrape all the bad stuff out via upper endoscopy. The whole idea of that grossed me out so much that popcorn went way down on my list of desirable snack items.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

mstrip59
on 12/28/11 2:18 am
Thanks for the feedback. It is time to find a new snack.
tlb26
on 12/28/11 11:31 pm
 Popcorn was one of my FAVORITE snacks of all time!! Sadly, my Dr. has it on his list of banned foods and I guess the above comments are why. I know it seems like a healthy choice when prepared right, but not a good choice for us banded folks 
Most Active