1st time here

beccabryce
on 7/27/12 11:40 pm
Hi everyone,

My name is Rebecca I am considering the lap band surgery for my weight loss, don't get me wrong I have been trying to loose weight for a long time now and all I have suceeded to do is gain more weight...  My body is a little off with it chemistry, so I am turning to the lap band for help.  I have a seminar to go to on the 6th of Aug. YEA!  Not many people agree with my decision because I am high risk sugery, but if the doctor can handle it so can I! 
Denise M.
on 7/27/12 11:51 pm
All the best to you in your quest for better health, Rebecca!!!

Sometimes people are simply concerned and worried out of the goodness of their hearts, which is why they don't agree with you having surgery.  Just undertsand they are probably coming from a place of compassion because they care about you.

What does it mean that your body is a little off with the chemistry?  (not to get too personal!!!)  If your metabolism is shot, or you have out of control diabetes, etc., the band might not be the best option for you.  

Be sure to talk to your bariatric surgeon about your body chemistry issues and what puts you at high risk and discuss your options for surgery (band, sleeve, RNY or DS).  You want to set yourself up for success with your WLS and choose one that will help you best resolve any medical issues you have.

Good luck!!!!!!
Denise

beccabryce
on 7/28/12 3:05 am
Hi Denise,
What I meant by my body chemistry is off,  is I have a disease called Addison's disease and Celiac disease plus last year I had a full hysterectomy,  so I would say that my hormones are off just a little bit...okay  A LOT.  I am not too sure about my metabolism but I don't feel as if I have any anymore
.  I can't wait til I talk to a surgeon to see if I do qualify!! 
Thank you

Becca
Denise M.
on 7/28/12 4:12 am
You poor thing!  Yeah, your hormones seem to be on a roller coaster!!!  I hope things have calmed some since your hysterectomy.

You need to talk to the doc who manages your Celiac and your bariatric surgeon about the band.  Celiac is an autoimmune disorder and the band is not recommended for those with autoimmune disorders.  Here's a link to the Risk Information page at Allergan (Lap Band's mfg) and if you scroll to the bottom of the page, it lists contraindications.  GI inflammation is at the top of their list.

Maybe there's someone here who has a band and Celiac who can give you advice.  If not, definitely talk to your docs to explore the options.

Stay excited, start doing some research on Celiac and WLS and go to your seminar armed with lots and lots of questions!

Stephanie M.
on 7/28/12 6:12 am
 Very well said...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Bette B.
on 7/28/12 12:28 am
 Hi, Rebecca! Welcome! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Ms_Swoosh
on 7/28/12 1:38 am - Indian Trail, NC
 grats on working to get to your weight loss goal :) Glad you are researching options.  The band is one of several, do your research and find the one that is best for you :) Looking forward to hearing about your journey :)

...just keep swimming,
Swoosh :)
I am a work in progress...perhaps never completed or perfected; but forever working to change for the better...
~Swoosh
   August 2012   New Dr.... New Start... Dr. David Voellinger        

SueBee01
on 7/28/12 6:14 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
Welcome!
 Sue

grannymedic1
on 7/28/12 10:37 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Welcome Rebecca! Good luck with your research.
Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

beccabryce
on 7/28/12 11:09 am
Thank you all for your warm welcomes!!!    You all make me feel very welcome in this group!  so i talked to a couple more of my friends and they don't agree with my decision either, however, they do all support me in my decision, weird huh?...   but everyone has their own opinions but it doesn't mean that they are going to change my mind!! 
can anyone answer some questions about the band for me?    i know these are questions to ask my surgeon and i will but I wouldn't mind see everyones experience in this also.
 How long are you down after the surgery?  I have 2 small boys to take care of, do I need a sitter while my hubby is at work to help me look after them?   How long before you can drive? Will I be coherent enough to do schoolwork or should I take some time off? (on line school)  Those are some of my concerns right now. I am not worried about the surgery itself,  and I remember how I felt after my hysterectomy, I was down for about a week, couldn't lift for about 6-8 weeks.  Well again thank you and I am looking forward to your answers!!
Becca
Most Active