Port Location - great problem to have!

mom22
on 10/24/14 8:50 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Hello! I have lost 90ish pounds and my port shows HORRIBLY! I am seeking an abdominoplasty. Where can I get this thing moved? I realize there is a lower profile port but it isn't that much smaller. I'd like this thing below my belly button where there will be more fat. Right now I hit it on the kitchen table... it's in the way and it looks bad. I have scoured the web and I can't see anything about moving the port lower. Does anyone know? THANKS!

vlp1968
on 10/24/14 4:10 pm

When I had my tummy tuck the surgeon was able to move the port to a slightly less noticeable place.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about it.  It will still need to be assessable.  Congrats on your weight loss!

mom22
on 10/27/14 5:15 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Hello - thanks but all 4 surgeons look at me like I have two heads when I suggest they move it. I want it below what will ultimately become my belly button. There is more fat there and I think it would look way better even if it did show a little. THANK YOU!

Kate -True Brit
on 10/24/14 7:59 pm - UK

Can't help!  But just wanted to say that you look fantastic! And, as you say, nice problem to have!! My port isn't noticeable because of excess skin - it would be if I had plastic surgery but that's not going to happen unfortunately! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Dejah H.
on 10/27/14 6:08 am - Central, TX

I just had a TT done in August, and I had my port replaced at the same time. The low profile port is much better, and does not show. My port is about 3 inches below my ribs on the left side. I don't have any problems with the location. 

Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck! :) You look great!

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

mom22
on 10/27/14 6:24 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks so much... 

In looking at this image, the new port doesn't seem to be that much shorter. Are they able to bury it under the muscle or what? Maybe this is an old image of the port comparison. Thanks for your feedback. All the surgeons I have talked with have basically told me I'd have to find a surgeon that has operating privileges in their surgery center and hire them to come in and do it. I made an appointment with a bariatric doctor to talk about the port and see what they have to say. If I could get that covered under insurance it would be so awesome. I'd just do that prior to the tummy tuck.

Dejah H.
on 10/27/14 7:08 am - Central, TX

I found a bariatric doc and plastic surgeon that could both operate in the same hospital. Then, my bariatric doc got approval from my insurance to do the port replacement due to abdominal pain that the higher port was causing. Then, I scheduled both surgeries together, so all I had to pay for was the plastic surgeons fee. The insurance covered all of the hospital charges. It was great. :) 

Send me a PM if you would like any more information. I am not sure if that pic is a correct representation, but I know I can feel a big difference in the size of the port. It is still located on top of the muscle though. :)

mom22
on 10/27/14 7:33 am - Colorado Springs, CO

Oh thank you! I have hope now. I am going to see if any of the plastic surgeons can operate at the hospital. That would be freakin' awesome!

Dejah H.
on 10/27/14 12:37 pm - Central, TX

Glad I could help! Let me know how it goes! 

KaysWish
on 10/29/14 2:30 am

Good Afternoon!!

First of all congrats on the Plastic Surgery!  I had a Corset Trunkplasty in January of 2013.  The recovery took forever but it is sooo nice to have the excess skin around my middle gone (They took off over 6lbs of skin...EEK!).  I would suggest having the doctors talk to each other.  About a year into it I started having pain in the port area.  A few months after it was overly sensitive to the touch and started turning red.  I went in to see my bariatric surgeon and she explained that I didn't have enough fat to create a barrier in that area and that the port would need to be removed.

I am now about 2 months post op and they are putting a new low profile port in a inch or two under my ribs.  She said it was an area that would still hold some fat and would create that cushion.  I won't lie, I've gained about 20 lbs. (even on a very restrictive diet and aggressive exercise routine) and I am a bit discouraged, but I can't wait until Dec 10th when they will put it back in. 

If you can get them both in there for the surgery and they can move it, I would highly suggest it.  Just make sure there is a communication on all parts!

Good Luck!! 

-Krista

Most Active