Has anyone here gone through Newton Wellesley Hosptial (Dr. Thayer's group)?

Mallisa P.
on 6/22/03 10:31 pm - Hanover, MA
Hi, I'm Mallisa and I live in Southern Mass. I've completed paperwork with two hosptial's and I'm trying to decide which to go with. I'm leaning toward newton-wellesley's group (also applied to NEMC's program) because I've heard such wonderful things about them and Dr. Thayer. Has anyone done their RNY with him or his group? I'm waiting to hear from thier office to make an initial consult and I really can't wait to begin this journey. Just a little about me....I'm a 32 yo married mom of five kids--twins, 4 and triplets almost a year. I went through IVF fertility to be able to have kids w/my hubby and the 'ol bod has seen bedder days!lol I've always been obese and like just about everyone here, have gone through just about every diet, pill (both perscription and otc) and program there is. I'll lose some (usually 20 lbs) and gain back 25-30lbs putting me at my all time high of 296. I'm also 6' tall. I really am looking forward to having wls as I'll be able to do so many more things and have the energy to take care of our large family! I'm so tired all the time and know that my weight has a lot to do with it. I also have really painful foot problems since my last pregancy and it's really hard to walk sometimes. Not great when I almost never sit down! I look forward to making some friends here on the Mass. board and hearing your experiences--wherever you are in your process.
Diane S.
on 6/23/03 7:54 am - Bradford, Ma
Hey there! I had my surgery done one week and four days ago by Doctor Gazmuri who is in with Doctor Thayer at Newton Well.........I am beond satisfied and strongly recommend you go here! I had a friend go to Brig and Womans and it was awful! She had no support groups, met doctor only twice, had no idea what to eat and all kinds of problems. Newton has a great network and all kinds of information, help and support..good luck Diane
Suzi C.
on 6/24/03 5:05 am - Amesbury, MA
Hi Malissa, I went through Salem Hospital and had a fantastic experience (if having surgery can be fantastic). I do know someone who lives in Amesbury, where I live, who went through NWH and had a great experience also. She had hers done January, 2002 and has lost about 170 lbs. I saw her yesterday at Curves, she looks really small now. I can't help but mention that my sister had triplets three years ago; Georgie, William and Hannah. They are so special. She took fertility drugs too. She has no other children and is so happy she was able to have these kids. She doesn't have a weight problem and she never did. They live in Syracuse, NY. They plan on visiting next week-end. I can't wait to see them. I have some new pictures of them on my computer. Good luck, it sounds like you are doing the right kind of research!! Suzi
Peggy H.
on 6/27/03 12:39 am - MA
I'm going through Newton-Wellesley now -- I went to an introductory meeting in May, and have an appointment Oct. 6. I'm on a cancellation list and realize I better get $400 together and my paperwork done in case "I get the call." I very much like their attitude toward obesity and their patients. It's very nonjudgmental and helpful. I'm 49 and have been overweight almost all my life. I don't think I realize how very far I've gone downhill and how very much less I do now than I have done earlier in my life. WLS was recommended to me by a tactless doctor a couple of years ago and I practically took his nose off. But I've been doing some reading, and I guess things were percolating beneath the surface. I went to my husband's nephew's birthday party earlier this year, and my brother-in-law was talking about his process toward wls, and I knew that I wanted this too. I waited to discuss it with my pulmonologist and diabetologist and when they were enthusiastic about it, I called Newton-Wellesley. The NWH patient comments on this site were very, very helpful. I'm so glad you're all here -- it'll be nice to have support on this journey. It's scary, but like the possibility of sunrise after a long, dark night.
Kim B
on 8/5/03 12:38 pm - Twilight Zone
I had my original surgery on Dec. 12th 2002 with Dr. Gazmuri at New/well hospital. Three months later I developed a fistula which is when your old stomach and new stomach form a tunnel back together and food flows from the new stomach into the old giving full capacity again. I was heartbroken as I was just getting into high gear with my journey. Dr. Gazmuri scheduled me for a revision three months after that (June 30, 2003). I am now 5 weeks out from revision. Both hospital stays were pleasant. Dr. Gazmuri is fabulous. My complication was nobody's "fault". Just my body trying to repair itself. I would highly recommend this group of surgeons.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 615 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2183 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4368 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4496 views