dumping with the sleeve?

seeking_freedom
on 11/5/11 6:08 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 do you experience any dumping with the vsg? i'm thinking i might want the dumping aspect of the surgery, which ever i decide on.

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
Mrs.Jackatar
on 11/5/11 9:10 am - Pine Falls, Canada
No you do not get Dumping Syndrome with the VSG.  That is usually associated with the RNY. 

Sherry
HW 300 CW 294 DAY OF SURG WEIGHT 267 Height  5'2.5
NUT Goal 180   My Goal  150

seeking_freedom
on 11/5/11 12:14 pm - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
thats what i thought, but had heard differently, just making sure. thanks!

cedarstar
on 11/5/11 3:07 pm, edited 11/5/11 3:14 pm - Manitoba, Canada
I would strongly recommend not picking surgery on the basis of you "may" dump. They say that only a small percentage of people actually dump. I had the RNY and have not had any food disagree with me except for pork rinds. I had a small piece of pumpkin pie and whipped cream Thanksgiving weekend and I broke at Halloween and had a few candy kisses. I so love them but it is such a good thing they only come out once a year. They were a little too soft too, they don't make things like they used to. 

edit: I actually did not want the RNY because I was afraid of the dumping. I have watched my mother become so ill from it that I really didn't want to go through it. I would have had the VSG if I could have.

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

Michelle_2975
on 11/5/11 3:46 pm, edited 11/5/11 3:47 am - Canada
I got the RNY and I do not dump and I have had a lot of sugar in one sitting. The only restriction that I have is if I eat too much it will hurt and depending on the food I can eat a lot as well. I too figured if I got the RNY it would work in place of my will power and it sure didn't.
seeking_freedom
on 11/5/11 4:11 pm - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 wow! wake up call for niki! thanks for the advice. your insights are valuable.what then is the advantage of rny over vsg? they sound like you would have similar food restriction after both.? i know rny give malabsorbtion aswell as restriction, and i asume that helps with weight loss.
thanks all
niki

Michelle_2975
on 11/6/11 2:11 pm - Canada
I chose RNY over the sleeve because it had a higher rate of putting my diabetes in remission. I was on 8 pills a day pre-op and was able to leave the hospital med free :)
tuckergirl
on 11/7/11 1:55 am - Canada
I chose VSG over RNY because with the RNY - that's it, that's all.
With the sleeve, Dr. Andrew told me that if it doesn't work - which it doesn't for some people - that I would still be able to go in and have the RNY.
He DID recommend the RNY first, but totally supported my decision to go with the VSG.
I also think I would have gone with the RNY if I had more then 100lbs to lose.

Ticker id: tnRU

Ticker id: tnRU

Most Active