Travel insurance as a "medical tourist" for surgery in Mexico???

Dianne C.
on 11/13/11 10:41 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi folks 

I'm curious to know if anybody reading this post who went to Mexico for their surgery bought extra medical insurance when you went?  

Regular travel insurance won't cover anything if it's a health issue because of the surgery.  I've found one company that will charge around $640 for medical insurance coverage if there is a complication related to surgery. (Another one was a ludicrous $2800!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that estimate.) I had a hard time even finding a company that offered it.

I can't decide whether to take the chance that nothing will go wrong or pay the $640 for the extra peace of mind.  I guess it's kind of like the lottery...but in this case, I'd be "buying a ticket" and hoping NOT to win. From all I've heard, the surgery is extremely safe, but there's always that tiny bit of a percentage of people who could have complications. 

I just wondered if anyone else has bought it and needed it, not bought it and wished they had, etc., etc., and if there are other companies out there offering it.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

seeking_freedom
on 11/13/11 12:31 pm - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 i would look into the coverage that comes with what you are already paying for, what is covered if you have complications, ect. if the dr has to go back in for whatever reason maybe its included in the intial cost? just a thought.

niki

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
Most Active