vitamins?

seeking_freedom
on 11/15/11 9:58 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 i'm sure i will be advised when my time comes as too what vitamins i will need to be on after my rny, but im curious now about what the vitamin regiment is. also wondering if you have to order from the usa for them in order to get the liquid or chewable kinds. whats the availability like here, and where do you get them?
thanks ladies!
niki

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
TotalKa_os
on 11/15/11 11:11 am - Canada
Vitamins are a breeze...I buy chewable centrum (You can get them really cheap at Superstore once in a while...they go on sale for almost half...jus****ch for it...then buy LOTS). I was chewing those with no problems only about a week post op.
I also eat chewable vitamin B12. You can also buy sublingual (under the tongue dissolvable) at Superstore, shoppers, etc.
I have 2000 IU of vitamin D every day (just 2 tiny pills) and a calcium (take calcium separately from other pills). You can break the calcium in half for the first couple of weeks.
I also take Ferrous glucosate...available at all pharmacies. It absorbs much easier in your stomach (don't take the Ferrous sulphate...too hard on your stomach). I don't have any problems with the iron.
Once in awhile, I'll break open an omega 369 into my oatmeal or soup, just to get some fatty acid.
I don't order anything from the States. When we go to Grand Forks next I may check out the prices to see how they compare.
I find everything is available here.

HW: 290 SW: 260 CW: 165 Their goal: 195 My goal: 160

cedarstar
on 11/15/11 2:10 pm - Manitoba, Canada
I was taking Centrum Silver chewable until I went to Grand Forks and was able to purchase the CVS brand for really cheap, 7.99 and buy one get one free. 500 mcg sunlingual b12 from walmart in Grand forks, very cheap. I take Jamieson Calcium chews from Costco, 650mg calcium with 400IU of Vit D. I take 2x daily. They taste kind of like tootsie rolls. Calcium can be taken with all other Vitamins except for your iron. You can't even drink milk at the same time as taking iron supplement or it will not be absorbed by your body. Iron must be taken a few hours apart from the calcium. I take 300mg Ferrous Fumerate (cost****easy on the tummy) with 500mg of Vitamin C. The Vit C is needed to absorb the iron. Because my levels are quite high my NUT said I can take the iron every other day. 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

Sista10
on 11/16/11 7:56 am - Winnipeg, Canada
I just take Centrum forte, one a day.
I have the VSG
LisaGay44
on 11/17/11 3:22 am
All Good advice, I also take about 1200 of vitamin B12. After surgery you become deficient in this.
seeking_freedom
on 11/17/11 9:32 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
 thank you ladies. i actually already take high quality omega 3 and vit d, innate choice brand available at zaharia chiro on pandora, both liquid so im glad ill be able to keep it up after wls. i hear that there is a liquid centrum available in the u.s i was curious about that aswell. i plan on checking it out.

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 9:27 pm
good health and high spirits! had RNY April 08 am going for beltlipectomy, arm and boob lift in Feb. 2012 About your vitamins. For the rest of your life you will nutritionally challenged and malnutrition will be a constant. My regiman so far is B50 2x/day (be careful with the B12 you can have TOO much. Calcium Citrate 2x/day (with RNY your stomach cannot process Calcium Caltrate) multi vitamin 1x/day and Palafer 1x/before bed. Palafer (iron) should not be taken with food. Another thing to remember--with RNY surgery.. is that time release pills should be avoided since the body empties so fast. Regardless of what you choose. Your vitamins should be of the highest quality for maximum absorbtion. you will NOT get enough with your food intake. The best Vitamin supplement out there is USANA (top out of 5 supplements tested) I cannot afford USANA so the next best (#3 in the top tested) is Quest. I changed my multivitamin from Quest (because only in time-release) to Equate Century Complete.. only until I can find another top quality multivitamin like Quest. Yes it can be a bit pricey but you've gone this far with your life style change why not go all the way? through experience it is far more difficult to recuperate from malnutrition or vitamin deficiency than not..don't skimp on the vitamins and make sure that everything you put in your mouth has some nutritional value.. (lots and lots of greens, grains and fruits!)
cedarstar
on 11/19/11 12:51 pm - Manitoba, Canada
Great news on the PS date. I know you had mentioned looking for a credible ps surgeon. Were you able to find one here or are you leaving province for your surgery? 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

cedarstar
on 11/19/11 1:54 pm - Manitoba, Canada
Iron is best taken on an empty stomach for best absorption but many people experience side effects such as stomach upset, diarrhea or nausea. If iron causes any of these side effects when you take it, it can be taken with food to lessen the side effects. You just would not want to take with food or beverages containing dairy or you would inhibit absorption. Iron supplements should also be taken with Vitamin C to increase absorption. When you see your NUT for your pre-op diet she will probably go over everything you need to do. Your NUT should give you information that contains your pre-surgery and post-surgery nutrition requirements along with the vitamins you will be required to take. Our NUT here gives you this with your pre-op diet instructions. Although our NUT here only recommends one multivitamin daily and if you read on the RNY forum you will see that we are required to take 200% of our daily requirements so I take 2 Centrum Silver (cvs brand) daily as is recommended on the forum. When I get my lab results I will compare them to what they recommend on the RNY forum and adjust my vitamin dosages with the help of the vets over there. Right now my iron levels are in the high normal and I take ferrous fumerate 300mg. The directions are to take up to 3 tablets daily with a meal or as directed by your health practitioner. Each tablet contains 100mg of elemental iron. Because of my levels Laura suggested it was ok to take every other day.

These are the vitamins and dosages recommended by our NUT:
a complete adult multivitamin or prenatal multivitamin (I take 2)
1200-1500 mg calcium citrate 2-3x per day
1000-2000 IU Vitamin D3
500 mcg B12 that can be taken as a tablet, a fast dissolving strip placed on the tongue or sublingual
65-80 mg of elemental iron taken separately from calcium

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

sillychocolatehippo
on 1/4/12 10:43 pm
Hello, I believe you are going to Edmonton for your Surgery??? What is the wait time for Edmonton? May I ask for the contact information for the Edmonton clinic? Thanks for now
Most Active