Tossing this around over and over

canadiancricket
on 2/23/12 10:21 am - Canada
 i really wish we had some guidelines at least while we are waiting.  I think that is the part that is bothering me the most.
I love reading about those who have had the surgery and who are successful but I'm also jealous (gotta admit it) and really angry that my doctor, instead of lecturing me about how I need to lose weight, didn't get me referred sooner. I had to be the one to tell her to do the referral.
sexy_me
on 2/23/12 6:00 pm
VSG on 02/06/12
May I suggest seeking a WRHA Dietitan assistance while you wait for WLS you can work on several new nutritional guidelines and learn how to implement into your life. In the end it will boost your overall success rate. Who know perhaps do so well you may not require WLS

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

sexy_me
on 2/23/12 6:51 pm
VSG on 02/06/12
I hear you and is it ever a tiresome cycle but in the months prior to my WLS I didn't know that for years I was just not filling myself up on the proper dietary requirements in order to stay satisfied for longer. Plenty are unaware of how high their daily sugar intake is and how low their protein & fiber intake is. You'll learn more about this in your WLS nutritional education also. OK for a good example, I learned that your daily fiber intake should be approx. 25 grams. It has been found that most people do not take in this amount daily. I suggest supplementing with Benefiber or something like it. As for protein be aiming for a min of 60 grams daily either through food or a supplement like a good quality protein shake. The daily protein amount is especially important as post surgery these amounts will increase and become a bit trickier at first to get in daily. I also learned not have any water or other type of beverage during a meal as this will flush out your meal even faster, ending result HUNGRY AGAIN. After/between your meals drink plenty of water. Seek out a good multivitamin and begin taking daily. By doing this you will prepare your body for WLS, being fit as possible you will make surgery less complicated and bounce back easier. I know the time-line sucks right now but once you get into the swing of preparing yourself it will all be over and done. Remember all these thing I mentioned are already needed for a healthy mind & body so try them out. You know even I didn't get them all right at first but I'll admit they do help now.

Take care    

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

canadiancricket
on 2/23/12 10:39 pm - Canada
 Awesome suggestions and information, thank you so much. I feel as if I have something to work on and something to look for. 
Most Active