Tossing this around over and over

canadiancricket
on 2/22/12 11:49 am - Canada
 So, I am currently at 223 lbs, with my height, my BMI is 40.78.
I called and talked to Andrea and asked her about the wait, and like I mentioned the wait is now around 30 months or so.
I asked her if I was able to start walking again and managed to lose weight (about 20 pounds)  if I would still be a surgery candidate and was told I would most likely be disqualified.
Also, as you know, we can't gain weight while on the list.
I am panicked, as most of us do, I yo-yo, I can't help it, if I could I wouldn't want surgery.
I have to hold this weight for 3 years?
I mean, I guess I shouldn't complain but it still freaks me out.
Figured you guys would understand

justmest
on 2/22/12 11:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
I have the same fears.

I am really worried about gaining any weight, and also worried about losing.  I am low BMI, but high enough to qualify for surgery.  I am worried that I might develop co-morbidities that would disqualify me from the program.  I am worried that I won't get job promotions because I am veiwed as a fat lazy person by superiors.  I fear that my husband will lose interest in me.  I fear that my children will lose respect for me for being at the weight I am.  I fear that my sore knees will get worse. .

I don't want to have to worry about this for 3 years.

I am really considering Mexico as an option..

I don't have the money, but I also don't want to die waiting for the surgery here.

In Ontario it's a MUCH shorter wait.  I don't know why Manitoba can't or wont approve anything beyond the trials.  
canadiancricket
on 2/23/12 2:43 am - Canada
 if its any consolation, its my understanding that mild co-morbidities will not disqualify you and may actually keep us in the program even if our BMI tends to be lower. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and asthma. All of which are heriditary in my family but all of which are made worse by the weight.
Andrea explained that the wait time has gone up because of surgeons on maternity leave (and its impossible to fault them for that, I mean , they do have lives) and a struggle for OR time. The O. R. time, I do take exception to. The province needs to see this as a priority and allow the surgeries at the Maples facility, which I am certain would help.
from the sounds of it, I could likely have the money saved to go to mexico in 2 years...I thiink I'm going to start a special fund today.
sexy_me
on 2/23/12 4:19 am
VSG on 02/06/12
Have you considered going out of province for your surgery as some centrex have shorter times. My DH is 35 BMI and approved by mb health for going out province to have his surgery 

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

Madelaine2000
on 2/23/12 3:33 am
Seriously 30 months???? I just knew this program was to good to be true! (for me who just got on the list last month.  Im not sure what my doctor put on my referral letter but why would you be disqualified..if you dont mind answering?? Of course we will yo-yo between now and then..thats whats got us to this state in the first place. I have been reading every spare minute I have on the surgery in Mexico, and although it scared me to death just the thought of it, its looking like my only option. I too will have to start a fund and see if I can borrow the money..I am not prepared to wait almost 3 years just for the surgery and then another good 6 months before you see any real improvement. Im really upset..
canadiancricket
on 2/23/12 5:25 am - Canada
 I'm not even certain how to proceed with looking out of province. My doctor is really good on a lot of things but not certain how informed she is on surgical options. Sexy_me, do you have any resources you can direct me to for out of province info?
I am optimistic that the O.R. availability will be worked out and I will still be less than 30 months, but it does scare me and I need to look at other options.
I know we all want the surgery yesterday...(ha ha) and that waiting at all is hard.
Madeline2000, to be honest I wasn't told why. I know if you gain weight beyond referral weight you are expected to lose it before they will consider you for surgery.
I asked specifically if I lost weight, if I would be disqualified and was told most likely.
It concerns me, cause I know that I am expected to be exercising as well...but if I exercise and take off weight...I dunno, I don't get it.
Can any of the veterans who have been through this surgery answer?
sexy_me
on 2/23/12 4:30 pm, edited 2/23/12 5:45 pm
VSG on 02/06/12

Repectfully to all I say that anything involving your own health, you should be willing to accept the responsibilty and become your own advocate. In my experience I've found not many GP's are well versed in WLS so doing the research on it I brought forth valuable info to my GP which they did not know.
As for Out of province surgery, you will require prior approval from MB health to attend each & any bariatric appointments out of province including the surgery. Should you fail to do so you could and likely will be billed directly with no grounds to appeal. Getting MB health's approval is not too difficult to obtain, it takes planning ahead. First, before you ask for approval you need to decide on a program. Yes, your GP can send multi referrals out to the different WLS programs. Be warned once you've chosen a program and attending, its a challenge to switch if you change you mind because you don't like waitlist or the requirements.

Below are links to a few programs and info for Mb health out of province claims...

http://www.victoriabariatricsurgery.com/
Both surgeons are excellent

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/British-Columbia/Victoria/Mali k-Samaad-Dr/6199920.html
Dr Malik, your GP or you can contact his office for referral info

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service &rid=1008784
Download the WW referral off website and have GP fill in and fax off. Take note; you are required to complete a few simple steps prior to admission to clinic..(I have heard of rare exceptions made due to current health status in regards to completing steps prior to clinic admission).
1. Must attend min. 4 modules(can be arranged to be completed in one visit)
2. Begin writing a food & daily exercise activity journal (I suggest doing it regardless as it does work).
3. buy a pedometer and use daily(work way up to doing 10,000 steps a day). 

http://www.rqhealth.ca/programs/surgical_care/bariatric_surg ery.shtml
You and/or GP need to contact program directly for their referral info as I believe it's directly forwarded to you GP for completion.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/oop.html
This gives more detailed information regarding out of province referrals

I hope this info is helpful to you and all who will read this. Feel free to ask if there is something you do not understand or need help finding I'll be glad to help out.

All the Best to you in your WLS journey 

**You will notice I did NOT list anything from the eastern provinces or from ONTARIO. They are currently not an viable WLS option due to either prohibitive waitlists or not accepting patients. In case you were not aware of it, the province of Ontario outright cancelled all incoming out of province referrals for WLS a few years ago. I know several people whom were unfortunately part of the cancellations. So if someone here on OH is aware of a recent change to Ontario's OP WLS policy to which they do permit it now, please do speak up.**

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

justmest
on 2/23/12 8:49 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 I am Absolutley heartbroken that it is going to be 30 months wait now. 

I don't even know how to deal with this.. I am beyond destroyed.

Madelaine2000
on 2/23/12 9:13 am
Justmest, I hear you. I am desperate now and feel like my only chance at this is gone..or so long away that wont happen. As for anything we are supposed to be doing in the meantime..I have no clue what I am suposed to be doing. I talked to my doctor, she sent in my referral, I received the criteria letter (no directions, no advice, no expectations..nothing) and now I just wait. Would you be disqualified because your weight and BMI would drop from their criteria??
justmest
on 2/23/12 9:23 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
I am afraid that if I lose weight, I could drop below their criteria. so I need to maintain this weight for 30 months minimum..  the whole reason I want the surgery is because I cannot maintain a certain weight.  I have to EXTREME diet to lose any weight and need to excersize.. By extreme diet, I am talking under 700-1000 calories per day.  That's why I know this surgery is for me. 

I had supper an hour ago, and already I am feeling hungry.  From the research that I have done, I see that if I have the sleeve,  the sensation of hunger is lowered since the part of your stomach that produces the hormone that makes you feel hungry is removed.  I know that this is my answer, and it breaks my heart that I will now have to wait 3 years, and must not gain or lose any weight etc, etc, etc....

The wind has been completely knocked out of my sails by this news today....I feel like crawling into a hole and not coming out because I have to walk around with people judging me because of my weight for the next 3 years.

Most Active