spoke to Andrea

Daisy68
on 4/17/12 11:26 am - Canada
 Hi everyone,

I am a September referral and got the call for the info session on May 4/12.  When I spoke to Andrea about 6 weeks ago I had asked about the criteria opening and she told me the wait could be as long as 3 yrs.  I decided to go to the States and then Andrea calls.  I asked her about the timelines.  I was told 4 months from May (info session)  I would see the surgeon, and 8-12 mos later surgery.   I'm sticking with the decision to get the surgery in the states in May .

Tammy 
notoriousgrannyD
on 4/17/12 1:25 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
that's discouraging
notoriousgrannyD
on 4/17/12 1:25 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
I'd sell a kidney to pay for an operation but I think mine are to fat infiltrated.........
justlori
on 4/17/12 2:18 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
LOL!!!   You crack me up!! 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/12 4:59 pm
I totally agree with ya!!
I wish I had money... & passport so I could fly to Mexico and wherever else to have the surgery done.. even if I had the $16,000+gst I could get the lap band done @ Maples.. 
notoriousgrannyD
on 4/17/12 11:13 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
I am very interested in Rainyone's surgeon.  Two ladies from our hospital also went to him and they were pleased with all aspects of care (and they are all nurses so they know what to look for and what questions to ask)  From all reports, it seems to be about $8000 all in (flights, hotel and all)  I did price the flights from Wpg but I am wondering if a person could fly from somewhere just over the border and make it cheaper. 

I wish my husband was more on board with the self pay thing but he is adamantly opposed (and I would have to get a 3rd job to pay for it..... boo ..... but I am seriously considering it)  I figure it will cost me for all my trips to wpg for appts, the optifast, the psych evaluation, hotel during surgery week, etc about $3100, so it really only about $5000 more....... I don't know...... :'(
Madelaine2000
on 4/18/12 4:12 am
First off Trish, you don't want a lapband. Do a search on here for how many people are getting their's removed. Not a good option I think. And NGD, my thought process on the whole Mexico thing  vs waitng forever here..even after you spend all that money for appointmets, and use all your sick/vacation for these appointment, you might not have much left for the actual surgery! And you still can be denied at any point. I am not going to settle for that so its off to Mexico for me as well. I can use my holiday time for recovery, and my doc has assured me that she can do any follow up I may need..whether its lab work or psych. I think I am choosing Rainyones dr as well and 5500 for the surgery and 1,000 for the flights (hubbys coming to), I am definitely worth that. (doesn't mean we havent had our "talks" about spending that kind of money!!!)

And you can use it on next years income tax so there will be something coming back from that. I am pretty comfortable with my decision and research I have done. All that's left is to book it! I hate to be negative but I honestly cannot see our government moving this forward any faster and I am not prepared to wait for them,.

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 6:54 am
Thank you for the info. I am trying to research everything. If we had the $ I would for sure look at going elswhere, but we just dont have that kind of money.. no savings or anything either.. so it is for sure out for me. I doubt the bank would give me a loan for that.. :(

I do read posts, I try to respond if I have anything to say, other then that, i just read..
thank you ladies!! xo
rainyone
on 4/18/12 2:03 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
It's depressing isn't it?  I'm so glad I ended up getting it done.

NGD - I found the best fares on united.com... with stopover in denver or chicago. My flight was 499 after taxes and fees. They were as low as 460 but I choose better times for the flight. 

I paid $5500 for the surgery. 500 for the flight ( my mom paid for my sister to come with me ) and $ 100 for an extra night in san diego for sightseeing and easier time catching the flights. I also spent about 100 on knick knack for family as souveiners.  So 6100 in total.  I have to say other than clothes and protein supplements , I'm saving TONS of money on food. I went to the states for a couple of days. I spent less than $10 in meals lol. I had cups of soup both times and couldn't finish. Also had a yogurt at the breakfast at the hotel. My friends spent at least $50-60 over the same time on meals.  I used to be a diet pepsi freak and would spend at least $20 on it a week .  Once I am on a full diet , leftovers from meals out will be so awesome. 

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

notoriousgrannyD
on 4/18/12 11:29 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
That all sounds so easy!  I wonder about these medical loans that are offered - would it be better to go through them or a normal bank?  do banks give money for weight loss surgery (or do you say it is for "home repairs" lol)  Our mortgage is due for renewal in the fall but it is still too early to resign (I'm thinking consolidation) but a san diego flight is almost as much as a trip to wpg for me (although I would still have to go to wpg I guess haha)  I probably have enough airmiles to cover the flights as well.  hmmmmmmm
Most Active