first food

notoriousgrannyD
on 10/20/12 8:46 am
VSG on 10/16/12
okay, I'm going home tomorrow and will be grocery shopping and CAN'T wait for food.  Don't get me wrong, I haven't been hungry but am wanting taste other than shakes and broth.  What did you have first and on what day?  I'm thinking an egg......??  help
. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
Kokonut
on 10/20/12 9:42 am

I ate canned meats that I pureed with mayo and a bit of broth. Was SO good. My new tummy didn't like eggs except for hardboiled for a LONG time. Probably 8 months. I eat them with no issues now though..LOL

I also LOOOOOOVED my greek yogurt. Delish..for about 2 tsps worth!

Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

rainyone
on 10/20/12 10:07 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I had a scrambled egg and fantasized about it forever. Couldn't finish one and felt so gross after ( I had liquids pretty much for the first 2 weeks - full liquids and some stuff like yogurt)  I was turned off of eggs for a couple months after that. I even find eggs weird even now at times ( I ate 2 scrambled today they were yummmmmy, along with a small potato pancake!  I was stuffed but it sits well now.

I'm going out for the Keg tonight lol. Steak mmmmmm I won't be able to finish my dinner so I will be having it for lunch and maybe breakfast tomorrow lol.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Dianne C.
on 10/20/12 10:25 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi Diane 

Didn't they give you a schedule and suggestions of what you could eat and when? I got a schedule on a calendar from my nutritionist in Mexico. Of course now I have no idea where I put it.

I don't think I was allowed "real food" that you could chew until Day 14. The first thing I was allowed (maybe after a week? but I have a horrible memory) was yogurt drinks, cream soups with no pieces, yogurt with no fruit bits in it, especially no seeds as those can apparently get stuck in the suture line in your stomach. I tried an egg next, but it didn't really sit all that well for me either. I had cream of wheat and oatmeal. Canned tuna and salmon were on my list, too.  I also made some custard (the stuff that comes in powder form in a tin). The proper recipe has sugar in it, but not a lot. You could try it with Splenda or something. I also remember thinking it was strange, but they suggested mashed potatoes and gravy, but they are soft. I use packaged gravy all the time and it tastes good and is pretty low-calorie. They suggested gravy for meats too once you start eating meat so it isn't so dry. I had plain shrimp probably around a month out, I think. I found it really easy on my stomach and it is very high in protein and low in calories. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Sista10
on 10/20/12 12:02 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
There is no place like home, glad to hear all went well.
Yogurt, cream of chicken cup of soup, by 3 weeks I started eggs, tuna, cheese, don't ru**** Get lots of rest.
Take care
notoriousgrannyD
on 10/20/12 12:24 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
thanks ladies, I did get a list and memorized it ..... but I think I was still on the Morphine...  anyway, that paper is in my bag, packed in the truck so when I get home tomorrow, I will dig everything out of their hidey places and re-educate myself.... sober. haha  THanks for the tips.

Incidently I just drank a shake to fast and now feel sooooo siiiick.  blah! had to lay down, I get the "too full" feeling now (I think) 
Michelle_2975
on 10/20/12 4:01 pm - Canada
I ate a lot of chili in the beginning.
BCwaiting
on 10/21/12 11:28 am - Canada
Glad to hear all is well. 1 week after surgery is still only shakes or pureed stuff. I bought different juices like Mango, pineapple, pomegranate and added protein powder to them to change the shakes up a bit. You can add banana after week 2 and puree it but don't add it this week yet. I also bought v8 juice to give you a variety of fruit/veg. Also, next week try making egg nog with milk, egg, vanilla and thrown in vanilla protein powder. I also liked apple sauce, yogurt and jello after week 2. The following week you could add cottage cheese and poached eggs, cream of wheat or oatmeal, add lots of milk so it is runny. Don't try eating anything yet that requires a lot of chewing as that means it is harder for your stomach to break down and digest and your stomach isn't healed enough yet to be doing all that work. Stick to pureed. At week 2/3, I even pureed canned salmon with Ragu sauce or v8 juice and protein powder..add a few spices and it is like clam chowder, just add lots of liquid so it's not dry and you get your liquids in too. Add protein powder to everything because you eat so little, you need that
little bit extra protein. These few weeks will be very repetitive and boring. Good luck. Barb C

referral April/2011 Weight 230 lbs.,orientation Nov 30/2011, surgeon Jan 4/2012, Psych Feb 2, Dietician March 15, physical Apr 12, Surgery VSG May 29/2012,
pre-op weight 180 lbs. ,         
rainyone
on 10/21/12 12:22 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
And One of the reasons you want to stick to liquids , puree's and soft foods ( in that order really!) is that right now your sleeve/pouch is swollen and the nerves have been cut. You will not have all the sensations to tell you to stop - with dense protein and other solid foods you can rupture the staple line, eat beyond full etc. I've read horror stories on the main board of some person who ate a can of corn post op week one , ruptured the staple line and ended up in surgery with the surgeon picking corn out of his abdomen. eeeekkk... might be an urban legend but seriously you just had your stomach cup open and stapled. Go easy on it , it is easier to progress from the various stages.

I fantasized about various foods ( for some reason it was a chicken breast cooked in the crockpot with mushroom soup. At three weeks I ate some and it tasted so good ( my diet opened up almost everything at 1 month) The scrambled egg didn't taste as good as I thought it would.

6.5 months out now, I realize I can pretty much eat anything , in small portions but boy was that first month was hard . Although honestly I bet the two week pre op must be worse ( my three days pre op was horrible lol) at least you have a cute little sleeve to help you with portions and hunger.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

notoriousgrannyD
on 10/22/12 1:28 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
OMG Rainy, the chicken breast thing is also my fantasy!  lol  I am fine now that I am home though, have so much diffeent kinds of powders and shakes to experiment with that I am pretty sure I can wait another week for food..... it's been this long already, what's a few more days.....

and I am definitely not wanting to stress out my sleeve, it was a long time in coming.  haha
Most Active