what is sugar alcohol and anybody have suggestions on "light foods" for presurgery?

Christi P.
on 11/14/07 11:34 am - Mora, MN
Ok, I'm in the final countdown, and a few new questions have occured to me.  what are sugar alcohols, compared to regular sugars?  What doe they mean to my soon to be little pouchy? Also, I'm on a "light foods" diet for this week.  I'm stuck.  I know it's only a few more days, but I'm hungry and bored with the food choices I've given myself.  Any suggestions?  I came to the realization today that since I was not put on a more restricted diet, there is no reason I need to suffer.  I need to keep losing weight this week, and will be on clear liquids the day before. Thanks!

It's never too late—in fiction or in life—to revise.   Nancy Thayer

Frozen_Peach
on 11/14/07 11:40 am
No adivce but GOOD LUCK and congrats on your date!!!

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

Christi P.
on 11/14/07 10:07 pm - Mora, MN
Thank you!

Lucy1972
on 11/14/07 12:45 pm - Luverne, AL

Hey Christi! I stayed away from high fat foods, fast food, chose healthier foods if possible, but didn't suffer either. Like fish, chicken, lean cuisine meals, salads, veggies, slim fast, sandwiches.  I stayed away from Mcd's, Burger king and such.  I made sure I exercised alot that week and increased my fluids.  I also, cut my portions in half too.  I think I had the occasional chocolate during this week.  For me, I had already passed my presurgery goal.  But Dr Jeff, wanted me to keep losing, and not stop.  He was happy I had already made his goal.  On surgery morning, I was down 20 pounds (doubled his goal).  Sugar alcohols, we need to be careful of because they are a form of sugar, I believe.  What I do, and maybe some farther out post ops could give advice here.  Is i look at then sugar alcohols and sugar grams and I treat them the same.  Sooo if there are 0 grams of sugar, and 12 grams of sugar alcohol, I won't touch it.  Or if there are 4 grams of sugar and 10 grams of sugar alcohol, this would equal 14 grma s total and then I wouldn't eat it.  Its a tough call.  All I know is that people have dumped on sugar alcohols, sooo I hope someone can imput on this, cause I would like to know for sure. I hope this helps ya.  I am planning on meeting you on the 20th at Unity!!  If I can't I will let you know!! Oh and I love your new hairdo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christi P.
on 11/14/07 10:23 pm - Mora, MN
Thanks!  I always knew purple was my color! Thanks, too, for the help with my questions.  It's one of those deals where I know what I should be eating this week, but I'm questioning myself and all I've learned.  A bit nervous I guess.  However, the sugar alcohols thing is a bit newer, I just don't really remember reading anything about them, and I've only seen them listed on a few labels.  Hmmm. See you on the 20th.  My angel, Sandie, will also be there.

Lindaanne
on 11/14/07 7:28 pm - SSP, MN
Sugar alch. are EVIL!!!!!!!!! Sugar alcohols available in the U.S. include Mannitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, Maltitol, Maltitol Syrup, as well as hydrogenated starch hydrolysates, are found naturally in berries, apples, plums and other foods. They also are produced commercially from carbohydrates such as sucrose, glucose and starch. They are added to a low/no sugar item to make them taste better.  Watch for them, youll react the same to them as if you react badly to sugar.  If you take the grams of sugar per serving and add the sugar alch. together and its higher than say 8 ( if you can handle sugar) stay away. Becareful of NO SUGAR ADDED products, sounds good but it means no extra sugar ontop of whats in there.   Look for splenda on the box and SUGAR FREE. Learn to label read! Hope this helps  :)

Start Weight - 263
       Current Weight
  135 and making it work for ME !

Christi P.
on 11/14/07 10:34 pm - Mora, MN

Thank you for helping me understand sugar alcohols.  Sugars are so sneaky, aren't they!  I don't know if I've read sugar alcohols on labels before, and I'm just noticing them?  Or if I've just never seen it before the last few months.  I've always thought I was pretty good at reading those nutrition labels (I even read the labels for my cat's food), but there is definitely room for improvement.  I guess I'll be an expert soon! 

Farrah W
on 11/15/07 3:03 am - Tallahassee, FL
If anyone (even non-WLS people) eat too many sugar alcohols, you will get diarrhea.  Our bodies don't react to sugar alcohols and regular sugar the same way though post op. Lots of people can handle the sugar alcohols and not the regular sugars.
Christi P.
on 11/16/07 8:52 am - Mora, MN
thank you!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1370 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1143 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2614 views