Bummed Out

CLU
on 3/31/11 11:25 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 03/22/16
Well I have been so excited about getting WLS to improve my life. I went and talked with my doctor, she recommend me to a WLS surgeon. I met with the surgeon and he recommend I attend a WLS seminar. My wife and I attended the seminar the other day and decided the RNY is the right WLS for me. So we contacted my insurance today and found out I do not have coverage for WLS ...  Turns out my employer elected to a go with a plan that cost less. The disturbing part is my premium stayed the same and I now have less coverage / benefits. I am so frustrated and bummed out right now !!
wert
on 3/31/11 1:39 pm - MN
Oh, no! I can only imagine how you feel. Is WLS not covered at all? Not any kind of WLS? 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Darla S.
on 4/1/11 12:03 am - Maple Grove, MN
Hey neighbor!

Don't throw in the towel just yet.  There are a lot of people on OH who have had obstacles such as yours, and if you look at and post on some of the different forums, you'll probably get a lot of ideas for how to proceed.

Self pay is always an option, although not always a viable one for everyone's budget - I know it wouldn't have been for mine.  I don't know who's seminar you went to, but most hospitals have a financial assistance office - you could make an appointment to see someone there to discuss your options.  Does your wife have insurance available through her employer (assuming she's employed)?  Perhaps if you switched to her coverage?

Just don't give up.  I've known a number of people who have gone south of the border to have their WLS for reasons similar to yours.  For whatever reason, it's much less expensive for self-pay. 

You would be wise to get involved in local support groups, even being pre-op, you'd be welcome for SURE at Park Nicollet's support group (2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month, behind Methodist in the Meadowbrook building, just at the top of the staircase...), coffee get-togethers, etc.  Get motivated by seeing the success of others - it'll help boster your determination to MAKE WLS HAPPEN for YOU!!!

Good luck 

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Julie6
on 4/1/11 4:06 am
There's always Mexico.  I had  VSG last July.  Very affordable.  PM me if you'd like to know anything about it.
Julie Sadek    
CLU
on 4/2/11 12:37 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 03/22/16
Just want to say thanks to everyone for posting. I am determined not to give up, I am looking into self pay options, my 401k and possibly a new employer with new insurance :) I will figure out how to get my WLS done !!
Dave T.
on 4/2/11 1:37 am - MN
Chuck I sent you a message

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1419 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1169 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2638 views
10+ years out -