Time flies - 8 years today

Lori J.
on 4/15/11 2:31 am - Minneapolis, MN
Well, believe it or not, it's my 8th surgiversary.  Wow, time does fly when you're living a new life!  I mentioned it to my husband this morning and he was shocked too.  I've been sick this week with a kidney infection so I've had time in my bed to ponder....I really didn't come up with anything profound other than you just have to keep on keeping on, figure out what works for you, accept your mistakes and fix them and move on, remember you have to live in this world of food choices, and also remember...it's not always going to be about you and your fabulous weight loss. 

Since it's been a long time since I was 300 lbs, there are many people in my life that never knew me fat.  Some of them still don't know.  It doesn't come up.  That's what I mean about remembering that it's not always going to be about you.  After everyone gets used to the new you, you won't have the oohing and aaahing fan club around you anymore.  To me, that is perfectly fine.  To some...that might be a shock.  I like blending in and focusing on something else than weight.  It's still important to me, but it doesn't need to be for everyone else around me.

Another piece of advice is to not get ****y about your eating.  Just because you don't dump now, doesn't mean you'll NEVER dump the rest of your life.  Just because you can tolerate sugar, which I can...doesn't mean something won't bite you in the ass in the future.  Example...I love DQ Heath Dilly bars and usually they don't make me sick.  Well, last night I "celebrated" my 8th surgiversary with my head in the toilet barfing my guts out from a wicked dump after eating one of my yummy Dilly bars!  WTF?  Surprise!  

Good luck to all of you out there wherever you are in your journey.  Never fear, you'll figure it out.  Before you know it, you'll be at 8 years or 10 or 15 and be wondering where the time went.

Lori J.

It's better to be imperfectly happy than perfectly unhappy. 

ajordan
on 4/15/11 3:36 am - Albertville, MN
Congratulations on your surgiversary!  I just hit 2 years and can't believe it has already been that long.

You are right about continuing to learn about how your body reacts.  I have had 2 dumps on ice cream and just don't want it any more - it used to be my biggest downfall, too, so that's ok.

I started a new job 4 months ago and people are unaware that I used to be so much bigger and didn't always have a flat stomach and normal size arms.  When I show a picture they are shocked!  The world doesn't actually revolve around my WLS and PS, go figure!

Here's to many more happy, healthy surgiversaries!

Amelia
   245 10 day LD / 237.5 SW / 184 CW / 167 GW

Lisa B.
on 4/15/11 4:42 am - Independence, KS
Lori
Congratulations on your "birth" day! I'm 3 1/2 years out now and I know what you mean about the getting on with normal life it's still invigorating. I dumped terribly when i first started out and learned to stay away from the "junk"  in the past year I've had alot on my plate and sadly and SCARY gained 33 back after getting below goal. in the past month all kinds of things have started making me dump and I am taking that as a get your butt in gear woman sign and have gotten back on track. THANK GOD! anyway... may your day be wonderful and full of joy. have a great weekend!

Hugs ~ Lisa    
Well behaved women rarely make history!
305/296/147/150  159 pounds down 3 lbs below goal!
Highest weight/day of surgery/current weight/goal weight 

Darla S.
on 4/15/11 5:15 am - Maple Grove, MN
Lori,

CONGRATULATIONS!  I love your down to earth attitude, and your ongoing appreciation for what WLS has done for you.  AND, your willingness to share!

I remember when I was a "newbie" here, and you were WAY OLD!!!  I felt like -

{Lori}

Now I'm darn near 4 years out myself, and I STILL feel like -

{Lori}

I know I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I still come here daily, and I ALWAYS feel reassured when I read your posts.  'Cuz someday, I want to be just like you!  8 years out and STILL ROCKIN' IT!!!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 5:53 am - Clear Lake, MN
Lori,

Congrats.....You've done very well with your tool.....

Kelly

Paul H.
on 4/15/11 8:52 am - Eagan, MN
 Congratulations to you and thank you for your continued leadership to us.

Paul
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Bulldog [previously
Leda]

on 4/17/11 10:27 pm - Mankato, MN
Hi Lori,
thank you for your insights...I'm starting to figure it all out. [of course, once you get it figured out, something changes!]

I'm looking forward to meeting and knowing people who didn't know me obese!

Blessings to you and I pray your infection is healed.
 Bulldog AKA Leda

262 HW  245 SW 182 CW 145 GW 
Bulldog [previously
Leda]

on 4/17/11 10:28 pm - Mankato, MN
P.S. I love your quote! I"m gonna borrow it.
 Bulldog AKA Leda

262 HW  245 SW 182 CW 145 GW 
vanish
on 4/17/11 10:58 pm - MN
Happy Anniversary Lori!  I like it when people don't even know I've changed.  I'd rather not have this define me either! 

Excellent words of advice!  Sorry about the DQ trying to kill you!   I hope your kidney infection is better;  My Mom gets those and they are miserable.

I am having my TT, BL and BA next Monday, any advice?  I think you had a LBL?

Keep blazing the trail and living the good life!  Congratulations!

Tess
 RNY 12/28/09 

Lori J.
on 4/18/11 6:57 am - Minneapolis, MN
Good luck on your plastics!  You won't regret it.  Yes, I had a LBL and a breast lift with no implants.  My best piece of advice is to stay ahead of the pain, and make SURE you don't get constipated from the drugs.  My worst misery my first week post-op was dealing with constipation and having stitches in my gut.  Not a good combo!  So keep the plumbing moving however possible!

Enjoy your new bod!! 

Lori J.

It's better to be imperfectly happy than perfectly unhappy. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1377 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1149 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2621 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2702 views