Mn government shutdown, what about medicaid?

Emily51501
on 6/18/11 1:27 pm - Duluth, MN
VSG on 06/06/12
I'm soooo nervous about this government shutdown. I'm currently in a position where I cannot afford private health insurance so I'm on medicaid. I'm so scared come july 1st I will have no medical! That would put a halt to my journey to surgery. I'm interested to hear what others takes are on this government shutdown, are you concerned? Do you think it will happen?

Paul H.
on 6/18/11 10:00 pm - Eagan, MN
 Any government shutdown will be temporary. I do not speak for the government, but historically.......You nay be inconvenienced because they will get behind, but you will eventually get what you have been previously scheduled. So your halt may have to be  resheduled, but it won;t have ramifications on you merits.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

seashell6417
on 6/22/11 12:04 pm, edited 6/22/11 12:04 pm - Gaylord, MN
There is a letter that should have been mailed to all MA recipients and it can be found here:  https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Public/DHS-6394-ENG

Providers were told they are to continue to serve their established MA patients but they can limit or stop taking new patients.  They were also told they might not be paid for services provided after 6/30.  http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcplg?IdcService=GET_DYNAMI C_CONVERSION&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName =dhs16_162236 

I would assume providers will try to schedule MA recipients as far out as possible to allow time for the state to settle on a budget in hopes of being paid for their service but critical care should not be affected.
Tami

Kim H.
on 6/23/11 9:27 am - Duluth, MN
that makes me feel better too seashell, BUT , what about MSA(Minnesota Supplemental Aid)..we count on that to,well, supplement our income. My husband and I are both on SSI, so that is kinds scary. Do you know anything about that government program?

~Kim~

seashell6417
on 6/23/11 11:46 am - Gaylord, MN
The letter sent to recipients that talks about health care programs also addresses MSA in one of the later paragraphs.  It is a paragraph about the cash programs.  It states the cash programs (MFIP, MSA, food support, food assistance program, refugee assistance, general assistance, GRH, Diversity Work Program, etc.) the programs might be suspended in the event of a shutdown.  I am a social worker for a county agency here in MN and have several people who live on about $200 in GA plus food support and we are anticipating that will be suspended for those recipients.  We really are expecting the worst and praying for the best for those people.  It is going to be a rocky road and we can only hope the state settles on a new budget quickly before our county runs out of reserve money that might keep us operating for a month or two without the support of the state (if that is what our county commissioners choose to do, of course).
Tami

Kim H.
on 6/23/11 11:25 pm - Duluth, MN
thank you for info!

~Kim~

Amy_Kleve
on 6/25/11 1:20 pm - Adrian, MN
Wow-I had this same question a few days ago. My 5 kids and I are on Medicaid. I have an appeal going on right now and if they shut down, my surgery date is VOID!

I HOPE & PRAY they don't shut down for everyone's urgent medical needs and also people who depend 100% on the government!

My surgery date is not a necessity, just would be a pain in the rear.

5 more days and we will know for sure. Sounds like they made some good progress yesterday

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1402 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1160 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2629 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2709 views