Surgery in 4 days!

Debbie C.
on 4/30/11 8:39 am - Manchester, NH
 I can't believe it's finally here!  After all of the hoops I had to jump through, I am having surgery on Tuesday, May 3rd.  I'm so excited and ready!

I was very concerned about how people would react, so basically only my husband even knew I was going through the process.  But I had to tell my mother because I needed help with watching my daughter next week and then I just started telling the rest of my family.  I have five siblings and I was shocked at the support and encouragement they gave me.  I was worried about the stigma and their comments, but they were really great.

Now I feel I can go into the surgery with a clean conscience and a happy heart.

Thanks for letting me share!  Have a great day!

Sookie77
on 5/1/11 11:56 pm - Milton, NH
I am so glad things are working out for you Debbie,  it is so much easier with less to worry about.  That being said here are my recommendations for tomorrow.

1. Relax it will be over before you know it
2. IF you can get the Rikki treatment do it.  Even after the surgery it is wonderful
3. Bring a pillow for the ride home.  It will help with the bumps in our wonderful roads.
4.  Call if you need anything I am in Portsmouth everyday and can stop over if you need it.
5.  SMILE your journey is just beginning.

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

Dee H.
on 5/3/11 1:23 am - Rochester, NH
This saying was a big help for me to get through the 3 weeks after surgery .
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"
Good Luck Today!!!!
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXVUTID/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wXVUTID/weight.png">>

Debbie C.
on 5/3/11 7:51 am - Manchester, NH
Thank you so much Ladies! I'm feeling great and actually very comfortable. I had my surgery with the DaVinci robot at CMC in Manchester with Dr. Connie Campbell. It feels so different than I thought it would. Not a lot of pain and just feels like I did thousands of ab crunches. That staff here is fabulous! I'm already so glad I did it. I'll be walking gently tonight and already sitting up in a chair. Next thing you know, I'll be doing a 5K!

Sookie77
on 5/3/11 8:33 pm - Milton, NH
Keep up the great work.  SO happy for you.  It will go by quickly.  Keep us posted and walk walk walk and sip sip sip. :-)  Happy dance time

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

Linda112
on 5/7/11 4:40 am - NH
Linda112
on 5/7/11 6:13 am - NH
So happy to read your posting following surgery.  I am new to message board and am looking for someone to share stories/encouragement with on this journey.  My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Campbell this coming Tuesday May 10th and I am so excited.  I also only told household family members in the beginning and just in the past two weeks  have started to share with some family members and close friends.  I am so surprised at the encouragement I have received, I thought for sure everybody would think I was crazy. A weight has been lifted and I am so ready to go !!  How long many days did it take you before you were able to go out of the house? I know everybody is different, but I have an event I really want to attend on Sunday May 15th which would be day five following surgery ..... how are you finding recovery to move along? I am so encouraged by your posting. thanks for sharing.
  Linda112    
Debbie C.
on 5/8/11 10:11 am - Manchester, NH
 Hello Linda!

As for my experience, don't be surprised if once you tell people, they find it okay to tell your personal business to the entire world.  I nearly strangled my mother after I found that she had announced it to several unnecessary people:  the mailman, the bus driver, the mechanic, a very distant cousin and I think everyone she came into contact with for 7 days!  The only secrets you have is the ones you don't tell!

Dr. Campbell and the nurses at CMC were fabulous!  I wanted to take all of them home with me.  The hospital stay was a breeze.  I agree with other people who say to bring a pillow with you for the ride home.  I didn't have one and can imagine it makes you feel more secure.

Other things that nobody told me:

The first time I tried to pee on my own, I actually had to push.  I've never had to push to go pee, it just sort of happened.  I think your whole body is confused, or maybe still under anesthesia, don't be afraid, it went away and all is natural again.

Those fashionable white compression stockings (TEDS) they make you wear?  Be prepared, Dr. Campbell wants you to wear them for a month!  A MONTH!  Not cute with flip flops, let me tell you.

They tell you to crush all your pills or open the caplets to get just the powder (Actigall), but nobody mentioned how I was supposed to actually take them after that.  It's been trial and error, mostly error.  Don't mix with water... Yuck.  Don't mix with yogurt.... Double Yuck.  Mixing with Pudding is better, but now you have powdery pudding.  Most of my meds are okay, but that Actigall is some nasty stuff.  I don't know if it's better to just put the stuff in your mouth, take a sip of water and swallow, I haven't attempted that.  Nasty, nasty, nasty.  Not fun.

DO NOT get on the scale the day after you get home.  Talk about a shocker!  I had gained 10 lbs. since the morning of my surgery.  I was pissed!  Apparently it was swelling and constipation because the very next morning I was down 13 lbs.  That was only 24 hours later.  Probably better to just weigh yourself once a week.

I had taste testing some protein drinks prior to surgery and didn't mind them.  I picked up what I thought I needed for when I got home, but then I found I had a REALLY tough time swallowing them.  Everything feels thick and frothy and disgusting.  They best thing I've found so far is the single serving packets of Syntrax Nectar (available at Nashua Nutrition).  I couldn't finish 8 oz of anything, so after hearing something and looking it up on their website, I've found you can eat the powder like candy!  It's the only thing that's helped me get my protein these past few days.  I manage to sip water or Crystal Light for hydration and eat that magical little powder for protein.  Tonight, I'm going to try mixing that with the Actigall powder, maybe that will help hide the nasty taste with the sweetness.  Fingers are crossed!

As for going out, I came home on Thursday and only took the Roxicet (liquid pain med) once.  I found I didn't really need it.  I've been out doing my exercise (three 6 minute walks, now up to three 8 minute walks daily).  I laid low on Friday, then went out to my in-laws for a party on Saturday and a party today at my parents house.  I've been to the grocery store (with no lifting) also.  Have someone else carry all bags.  Do not lift over 10 lbs., about the weight of a gallon of milk.  So.. I think you'll be fine for the 15th, barring no complications!

Recovery has been good.  If I'm being honest, on Friday I had surgery regret BIG TIME, I hated the stockings, the pills, the trouble eating, the protein drinks and I was crying and mad at myself.  Luckily, that quickly went away.   I was having trouble adjusting and missed chewing.  Even at the parties this weekend, it was a little tough sitting there with 2 tbsps. of pudding when others were having what looked like the most amazing food I'd ever seen in my life!  : )  I had to remind myself that I will eat and chew again someday.

Best of luck to you!  Hope all goes smooth and quick!

Linda112
on 5/9/11 6:55 pm - NH
Thank you so much for your comments.  it will be so helpful to have someone who is just ahead of me on the journey to compare notes with.  I went to my last pre-op meeting last night, that was kind of weird to be able to say "this is my last meeting....surgery tomorrow!"  I hit 51.8 pounds down as of this morning's weigh in...and I do get on the scale every day.  Thanks for the tip not to get on the scale...I'm sure that is swelling from the operation.  I will be looking forward to hearing your tips and how you cope going forward.  I have heard from many that your tastes change after surgery, so I am a bit worried about not liking shakes afterward.  The other thing that is bothering me is this whole phase two strained soup.  I keep thinking if you strain cream of anything soup, what could possibly come through the holes of a strainer and be left to eat??  It is so thick I just don't see as any would go through the strainer? Maybe it is just because I have  never actually made a creamed soup, maybe once and I and see the consistency I will be all set.  I am so excited I have been up since 3 and have second load of laundry on !  I have been a bit concerned about keeping the stockings on 24 hours a day especially at this time of year !  no capris for awhile I guess!

I am also  new to this message board so am just trying out where to go to read the newest information.  I just found your reply this morning even though I have been on a few times before ! 
  Linda112    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Canobie Lake Park
senyoshida · 0 replies · 461 views
Plastic surgeon ?
jmere · 0 replies · 797 views
Dartmouth.. dr truss
Debberz · 1 replies · 1558 views
CMC lifestyle chances class
morgansmom12 · 0 replies · 5024 views