New to site

sdwyer82
on 12/31/15 10:20 am

Hey there I am new to this site and I am strongly considering the gastric sleeve. I am looking for as much information as possible. Im in in Sydney Nova Scotia so the first thing im looking for is Drs in my region. the cost of the surgery and the wait list. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in adance.

Kathy S.
on 1/13/16 9:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi sdwyer82

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  

Profile - to blog everyday and reflect who you are.  Photos and more.

Click on your user name (left of the envelope) and click * and take the tour for our site. Its great information for all OH can do for you.

Health Tracker - daily food tracker to help keep you on track and tickers to track your weight loss

Forums - interact with other members for support and words of wisdom

If you need help finding a surgeon we have an large database of surgeons ready to assist you.

If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

Since you are looking into having the VSG be sure and post there. Also, post on the Ontario forum. They know everything about having surgery in Canada LOL

Ontario Forum

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We look forward to your updates

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Chanti_
on 1/14/16 11:36 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Hello Newbie!

Sorry about not posting sooner but the activity on the NS board is almost nil so I only check in here sporadically.  I am up in Halifax. The doctor here in the city is Dr Ellesmere I think. As far as I know he is the only one doing WLS in NS at this time. I think he does sleeve and bypass.  Depending on your BMI and your co-morbidities you will be wait listed for surgery (assuming your eligible).  It's not a first come first served situation.  If you are very sick and very obese you will get a higher priority on the wait list.  I've heard it's anywhere from 2-10 years.

If this is the route your thinking of, your family doc will have to refer you for consultation.  If you go to the Capital Health website they can give you more information.

My situation was that my BMI was 40 with no co-morbidities.  I was ineligible for surgery here at home.  I ended up going self pay in Mexico.  This option is not for everyone but in my case I was unwilling wait for help with my weight loss.  I picked a great surgeon and have had zero complications 4 months out from surgery.  

If you would like to know more about my experience let me know.  Good luck to you.

Chanti

sdwyer82
on 1/14/16 8:59 pm

Hey there I have went to my doctor and was told the wait time was incredibly long. I have decided to go to Mexico. I am currently researching things like prices, Drs and how I can finance. Any information that you can provide would be wonderful 

Chanti_
on 1/15/16 11:12 am, edited 1/16/16 5:14 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I can tell you as a nurse, that although cost was a consideration, it was not top priority.  When I finally decided that Mexico was the right place for me, I researched a lot.  I had specific criteria that I needed to feel comfortable travelling to a foreign country for surgery.  Because even though I am a healthy 40 year old, things can happen that are unforseen.

So I needed a hospital with an ICU in case of complications.  In conversations with my doctor prior to surgery He reassured me that his hospital had a fully functioning ICU and a blood bank on site.  

His track record is exemplary, he told me he has never had anyone die from gastric sleeve surgery complications.

He only performs 3-4 surgeries a day max.  There are some that do more then 10. The doc who had all the patient deaths last year in Mexico was doing upwards of 15.  Don't be a part of assembly line surgery. 

My doc is a board certified bariatric surgeon and is credentialed with the ASMBS. This is very important.  He is not just a general surgeon doing bariatric procedures... he has dedicated his career to the treatment of obesity through the surgical intervention.  

Before surgery I received a pre-op and post op instruction manual.  This was not just a simple pamphlet, this is a book.  It describes in detail what you need to be doing for the pre-op diet, the post op diet phases, the step by step process of coming to Mexico.  All the questions you can think of and some you never thought to ask are answered.  Even now I refer back to my book with questions, and I can call my doc anytime or drop him an email and he responds within 24hours.  He also has a YouTube channel with Q & A sessions every week or so which I watch.  

By the time I decided on my surgeon, and I researched quite a few, I felt completely comfortable with Dr Alvarez and his team.  He doesn't come cheap.  I paid $7500 USD, but I looked at it as an investment in my health.  I figured I'm worth it and I have no regrets at all.  There are financing companies here in Canada that will give you a loan.  I found their interest rates pretty high though so I ended up getting a personal loan through my bank.  If the dollar was as bad then as it is now I might have put off my surgery.  69 cents US today and only getting worse.. 

I stayed in hospital for 3 days post op. This was covered as well as all post op medications. I was also sent home with a 10 day supply of post op antibiotics, antacids and pain medications.  I had an excellent recovery, minimal pain that was managed well.  One of the women who had her sleeve the same day as me, had a difficult time post op with pain and nausea.  Just to illustrate for you that there is a broad spectrum of normal recovery.

I traveled to Mexico by myself so I needed to feel completely safe in my decision.  I had excellent care.  The only drawback is the majority of the nursing staff spoke very little English.  They were great, but my Spanish sucks so we had some challenges with our communication.  It all went fine though.  And if you are worried about Mexico hospitals don't be.  I could have eaten off the floors there it was so clean.  Older.. but spotless.  Cleaner then where I work if you want to know the truth.  

I know this was a long post but I wanted to give you the broad strokes on how I decided to go with Dr Alvarez.  I'm biased for sure, I think he is the best.  There are others that are excellent too I am sure, but make sure you do your home work and be confident in your choice.  Always here if you have more questions.

EDIT

*** Sorry I originally put that I paid $13000 USD.  Not the case. I think I was recalling my total costs with airfare and lodging in Canadian $. I adjusted above that it was $7500 US.  Big difference! 

Most Active