Follow-up Doctor visits after WLS?

northernlight
on 4/12/11 6:36 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi All!  I'm curious about the follow-ups with the doctor after surgery. I live in Windsor & will be having my surgery in Guelph (I assume) so does this mean that I will have to drive back up to Guelph for my follow-up visits or will I see a local doctor? How often do you usually see the doctor afterwards - I'm thinking that it's maybe weekly at first, then monthly? Thanks!

Deb

Patti K.
on 4/12/11 6:43 am - Kingston On, Canada
Deb, Hi...I had my wls in the states, and my Dr's office wanted to see us at 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, then 1 year, and 1 year there after...I'm just coming up on my 3 year visit..with blood work every time...I'd just give them a call, just to be sure...Patti K.

northernlight
on 4/12/11 9:24 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Patti!    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll probably find out more when I have an actual date.

Deb

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 6:56 am, edited 4/12/11 7:45 am - Toronto, Canada
I was told follow up would be at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and then yearly - but this is through Humber. 

I think you'd go more frequently if there's a problem with your pouch. Your GP likely wont know what to do with you for a follow up.  The follow ups at the surgeons office will include full blood/urine work too - these are specific to WLS patients and your GP might not order the right tests.
Lexa321
on 4/12/11 9:40 am - weston, FL
Hi Dawn! Thanks for the response although I'm surprised that they don't want you to follow-up with the surgeon who did your procedure. I don't think that my family doc knows too much about WLS, so I hope that she knows what to be looking for! Ah well, I'm sure that she would refer me to someone else if she wasn't sure about something, right? I'm really hoping to be able to go to Guelph for my surgery as it's closer for me, but it will depend on just how much longer I'd have to wait.

Deb
northernlight
on 4/12/11 9:26 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Simona - thanks for the info. It makes sense that my GP won't be familiar with WLS, so I'd likely have to see the doc who doc my surgery.

Deb

Geri T.
on 4/12/11 6:59 am - Blenheim, Canada
Hi Deb

I had my surgery last Friday at TWH.  When I had got my appointment for surgery from TWH, I called Windsor to let them know.  They have booked me to see them on May 4Th.  On Sunday when the doctors were discharging me, he mentioned a follow up appointment in Toronto.  I advised them I already had my follow up appointment booked in Windsor and he was fine with that.  I find it is easier to travel a hours instead of 3 for a minute appointment.

Windsor also has me meeting with the dietitian that same day.

I hope this will help you and maybe give Windsor a call so that when Guelph suggests you come back for a follow up, you can let them already know you have your appointment in Windsor

Geri

northernlight
on 4/12/11 9:30 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Geri! 

Thanks for letting me know how it worked with you. I really don't know what to expect. I'm surprised that you are able to see a Windsor doctor, but that's great! As you say, it sure beats having to drive all those hours up the 401 again!

Geri, how are you feeling this week, now that you're almost a week out from surgery?
Hope that you're doing well and adjusting.

Deb

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/12/11 9:19 am - Windsor, Canada
You'll be in Windsor's hands for before and after care with the exception of the basics before surgery obviously.

As well, they will look after year according to their five year after care plan.

You typically have your choice of Guelph or Toronto Western.  Guelph is backed up right now so many are being encouraged to go to TWH.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

suzyq0052
on 4/12/11 11:28 am
I had my surgery March 2/11 at Toronto Western Hosp. Prior to my surgery, I had to go to TWH for a meeting with an endocrinologist due to the fact that I am type 2 diabetic and was on metformin tablets twice daily to try to control my sugar levels in my blood. I had been followed at Windsor Bariatric by Dr Treki and even though i told the staff at TWH bariatric that I was under the care of Dr Treki, an endocrinologist at Windsor Bariatric, I was told that I had to see the endocrinologist at TWH as part of my preop care.. see him or no surgery! So..  I travelled to Toronto for that appt.. and then after surgery, the Nurse Practitioner for the Bariatric clinic at TWH visited me in my room and I asked her about followup appts with the surgeon at TWH and she said.. NO.. Windsor Bariatric will handle all your appointments.. then she said.. oh.. you saw Dr Segall the endocrinologist preop here at TWH regarding your diabetes, you will need a followup appt with him.. I said.. "But I have an appt booked for March 24 with Dr Treki the endocrinologist who has been following my progress at Windsor Bariatric and she said.." well then.. NO APPT necessary with Dr Segall at TWH if you are seeing Dr Treki on the 24th of March"...
 then wouldn't you know it.. April 1st.. TWH bariatric called to schedule me for my followup appt with Dr Segall at TWH.. I explained to the staff member on the phone that Sandra the NP at the TWH bariatric clinic had visited me in my hospital room prior to discharge from WLS and she had agreed that a followup appt with the endocrinologist at TWH was not necessary as I was taking care of the diabetes issue with my followup appt with Dr Treki in Windsor. Sandra had assured me that no further appts would be necessary at Toronto... that Windsor Bariatric would handle all of my medical followup appointments.
so... I did not get any further calls from TWH informing me of a need for any followup appts at the hospital..
Windsor handles all the postop care appts at the bariatric clinic.. I saw Dr Treki and also the dietician on the same day March 24.. and will see them again in June...

I assume Guelph will do the same.. hand over any postop appts to Windsor Bariatric staff.
suzyq0052

Most Active
Recent Topics