Question about NSAIDs after WLS

northernlight
on 4/21/11 7:38 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Based on my reading here on the forum, I understand that we can't take NSAIDs after surgery. I take a lot of different meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, an antidepressant and Tramacet for pain due to Spinal Stenosis. I also get a lot of headaches and take Extra-Strength Tylenol and I take Gravol when I have an  upset stomach. Now, I don't know which of these are NSAIDs and which aren't. Does anyone know a way for me to find out? Is there a website perhaps that could help me to find out? I take up to 8 Tramacet per day sometimes for my back pain, so I'm not sure what I'll do if I have to give them up. Thanks for any help!

Deb

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 7:42 am - Guelph, Canada
 just google the names it will say if they are in the NSAID class or not .. tramacet is not its an opioid
northernlight
on 4/21/11 10:02 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Dee, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Deb

Quinns_mommy
on 4/21/11 8:04 am

I've been googling for you, and haven't really found anything that looks super-credible. Best bet would be to speak with your surgeon.

Sorry Deb, wish I was of more help. :)

I would suggest staying on all of your meds until speaking with your surgeon. Have you met with him yet? He should ask you for a list of your meds.

:)

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 8:15 am - Guelph, Canada
 I think the prodcut monograph from the maker is pretty credible...

http://www.janssen-ortho.com/joi/pdf_files/tramacet_e.pdf
Quinns_mommy
on 4/21/11 8:24 am
Hi Dee. I didn't mean for that specific drug - I trusted you know what you were talking about with that one :)

northernlight
on 4/21/11 10:09 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
No, I haven't met with the surgeon yet - I'm still in the middle of tests, etc. I think it will still be a while - I was just thinking ahead & wondering about my meds, that's all. I will definitely speak to him when the time comes, about my meds. Thanks.

Deb

sam1am
on 4/21/11 8:24 am
 I don't know how complete this is, but here are many!

Aspirin
 (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)
Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)
Choline salicylate (Arthropan)
Celecoxib (Celebrex)
Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)
Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)
Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)
Diflunisal (Dolobid)
Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)
Fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)
Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
Ibuprofen (AdvilMotrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)
Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)
Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)
Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's Pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)
Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)
Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)
Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)
Oxaprozin (Daypro)
Piroxicam (Feldene)
Rofecoxib (Vioxx)
Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)
Sodium salicylate (various generics)
Sulindac (Clinoril)
Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)
Valdecoxib (Bextra)

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

northernlight
on 4/21/11 10:13 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Wow Sandy, thanks for that list! Looks like my meds will be all right after surgery - good news!

Deb

sam1am
on 4/21/11 12:16 pm
You're welcome Deb!  Please double check with your surgeon/pharmacist to be sure! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics