OHIP To Allow WLS in the USA Again??????

northernlight
on 5/9/11 10:49 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Just wondered if any of you have heard anything about OHIP allowing (& paying for) surgery to be done in the States again, due to lengthening wait times here in Ontario?  My sister works in the Bariatric Ward at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan, where most of the Windsor area residents used to go for their surgery. Her supervisor said that she had heard that Henry Ford  might be accepting ON patients again, with OHIP funding it, due to how long the wait times are getting for us to have the surgery here. Something about how we are supposed to be able to have surgery within 12 months from our referral?  Anyone else hear this? Obviously, I'd love it if it were true, since it's SO close to me, here in Windsor and because my sister would be my nurse. No-one else seems to know anything about this - any of you folks hear any rumours about this?

Deb

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/9/11 11:04 am - Windsor, Canada
Sorry but I just don't believe it.  I think the American facilities WOULD LOVE that and that they keep trying to wheel and deal with OHIP but this has been "rumoured" ever since surgeries went to Canada only. I just don't see it happening.  They have invested too much money into the new system.  I do however see them recruiting more doctors and eventually Windsor will probably get a surgery facility down the line (we know in Windsor that there is a doctor who is interested and he's been trying to convince others).

You know what too? Even if it were true, I'd tell people to stick with the Canadian system. Those of us that went to the States are somewhat in limbo when issues come up.  It's not the same as going through the new system. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

northernlight
on 5/9/11 12:36 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I don't see it happening either Dawn - not when they have gotten the ball rolling now in Canada. My sister thought that it was likely just a rumour but I told her that I was going to ask here on our forum to see if anyone else had heard the rumours. It would definitely be nice to see surgeries done here in Windsor.

Deb

Megan M.
on 5/9/11 11:11 am - Canada
I don't know anything about sending us to the US again, but I do know that the 12-month timeline is the OHIP goal - heard that at our assessment centre.  I thought it was 12 months from first orientation session, however, not from referral.  
northernlight
on 5/9/11 12:38 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I think you're probably right about  the timeline, Megan. The twelve months likely does start from the orientation date, not the referral date.  Too bad, my orientation was in Feb. - I sure hope that I don't have to wait until then. Oh well, plenty of time to get all my research done, right?

Deb

ashleighsmom
on 5/9/11 11:21 am
I would love to see this door open again and have to disagree that is it a problem when issues come up my Doctor has been on top of my progress and acted very quickly when problem have arisin thankfully turns out other than torn muscle nothing was related to surgery but I also have had very good care in ER and from family Doc and My american surgeon so I feel that opening the border so to speak at least to clear hte back log would be a wonderful thing
Jan              2.8 pounds below goal  
Bonnie ABC
on 5/9/11 2:34 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I agree My surgeons office has been fantastic to me

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
trudylam
on 5/9/11 11:39 am - Sudbury, Canada
I can't see them allowing surgeries in the US when they are in the process of starting up new facilities.  Sudbury is getting ready to start taking more patients to accomodate northern Ontario so that should take some of the burden off of the other hospitals.  

northernlight
on 5/9/11 12:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I hadn't heard that about Sudbury - that should help quite a bit. I can't believe that the northern residents have to come all the way down here to have their surgery. Boy, I'd better stop complaining about having to travel a few hours to Toronto or Guelph!

Deb

ericaFG
on 5/9/11 12:26 pm - Cambridge, Canada
Dr. Yoni Freedhoff posted a blog post a few months ago with instructions on how to appeal based on significantly long wait times.

Maybe someone actually tried it and is having success?

I do know that my surgeon told me last year that he figured they'd open things up soon since the wait times were getting long.  But I kind of think it is wishful thinking.

And I'd just like to say - I've had awesome treatment in the US - and I get lifetime free yearly visits to my surgeon....
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics