Hospital Choices?

northernlight
on 5/27/11 1:15 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi all!  I have a 2 part question that I hope someone can answer about the different hospitals doing WLS in ON.

I meet with my Dr at the bariatric centre next month after all of my tests are finished & to be (hopefully) referred to a surgeon.  Since the wait times are getting so long for surgery at Guelph, can someone tell me what my other options might be? I know some of the hospitals, but not the ones in the Toronto area. Here are the ones I know of that do the surgery:
Ottawa Hospital, Guelph General, St. Joseph's (Hamilton), and Humber River Regional (is that inToronto?).  Now, I know that there are other hospitals in Toronto - can someone please tell me which ones they are?
The second part of my question is: will my doctor at the bariatric clinic know which hospital has the shortest wait times or do I try to find that out myself and then ask him to refer me to a surgeon at that particular hospital? I'm not really sure how this works and would appreciate any and all input. Thanks so much!!!!! 

Deb

KristieA
on 5/27/11 1:28 am - Orillia, Canada
I went through Humber River but had my actual surgery at St.Joes Health Centre in Toronto (by Harbour Front) with Dr. Smith. Wait times can always be a crap shoot so to speak. Sometimes things come up that the surgeon can't help, sometimes you get the person that is booking on a good day and puts you in early where there was a cancellation etc. I am not sure it will really matter which surgeon or hospital in Toronto that you have your surgery. The wait is probably close to the same, but I could be wrong. One thing I did learn through this process was to always ask and make sure you get an answer you feel you understand. I had my initial classes, saw the surgeon and then was told to make other appointments/calls until I saw the SOC and NUT. Turns out that I could have called the surgeons office two months earlier than I did to book the surgery date, but the clinic failed to tell me that. Sometimes they do the booking, sometimes you do the booking. It depends on the surgeon.

Sorry that probably isn't much of an answer, but it is worth asking at your next appointment for sure. Now that the registry has been up and running for 6+ months maybe they have more data.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

northernlight
on 5/27/11 3:07 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Kristie, especially for the tip about asking questions and making sure you get an answer you understand completely.  That's too bad that you wasted 2 whole months when you didn't have to!

Deb

Janet13
on 5/27/11 1:54 am, edited 5/27/11 1:54 am - Toronto, Canada
Toronto Western Hospital is the  assessment center for Toronto and area,  surgeries are done at Toronto Western, St. Mikes and Toronto East General Hospital. There might be others not sure. I had mine done at TWH and couldn't be happier.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

northernlight
on 5/27/11 3:09 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for the info on the other hospitals in Toronto that do the surgery - I didn't know about Toronto East & St Mike's & I wasn't sure about Toronto Western. I'm glad to hear that you were happy with TWH!

Deb

Brandy S.
on 5/27/11 2:40 am - Sudbury, Canada
I had all my assessments done at Toronto Western Hospital, but My sugury will be at  St.Michaels.  
Brandyyy  
northernlight
on 5/27/11 3:11 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Brandy - you must be so anxious for your surgery. Do you have a date?

Deb

suzyq0052
on 5/27/11 2:57 am
I was processed through the Windsor Regional Bariatric Centre and when it came time to decide which hospital to go to.. I was given option of Guelph or Toronto. I chose Toronto at the time because Guelph was running a backlog due to surgeon shortage.. (then my surgery got delayed due to h pylori issues that had to be cleared up.. a 6 month delay).. but I stuck with Toronto even though at the time Guelph was running full steam ahead and some folks who started their process after me had surgery before me (due to the h pylori delay).. but I was finally referred to Toronto and got in to meet the surgeon at TORONTO WESTERN HOSPITAL
and had my surgery 2 1/2 WEEKS after I met the surgeon.. I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of care at TWH.. my stay was brief but comfortable.. and I would recommend the hospital to anyone. They answered my questions, provided a manual for patients that gave guidance for all upcoming issues related to admission.. etc.. and the nurses, doctors, lab techs etc.. EVERYONE were GREAT!!!
I am sure Guelph is great too.. but I have noticed that the postop diet regime for Guelph patients might be a bit different than for Toronto Hospital patients.. for instance.. I graduated from clear liquid diet to full fluid sugar free diet on my second day postop at TWH.. I had heard that Guelph patients can be on clear fluids for 2 wks postop.. (not 100% thats for sure.. as it was something I heard.. not experienced)..
I am glad I chose Toronto even though it meant a fair amount of driving time and hotel stay for my hubby.. it was the right choice for us.
suzyq0052

northernlight
on 5/27/11 3:18 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
On Suzy - isn't life fickle? Here you try to find the shortest wait time & you end up getting sidetracked by H pylori - go figure!   Lucky you though for getting your surgery date so fast after meeting the surgeon!  So glad to hear such a glowing review of TWH! I guess I automatically tried to avoid Toronto as I find the city itself so big & intimidating to try to get around and find things - I guess I'm thinking more of my husband & daughter & I also assume that hotel rooms for them will be more expensive. That was my only real reason for avoiding Toronto, but maybe it would be my best choice. Yes, it does seem that they all have different post-op schedules, but that's okay with me.  Thanks for your info, Suzy!

Deb

PatXYZ
on 5/27/11 5:06 am
I believe that if you want to transfered to another clinic with a shorter wait time you just contact the bariatric registry and ask for your file to be transfered and they will automatically send you to the closest one with the shortest wait time, I don't think you actually get to pick. If you're willing to go to North Toronto, HRRH definitely has a much shorter wait time than TWH right now.
Most Active
Recent Topics