Starting to freak out

Jacki1965
on 6/8/11 12:22 pm - Cambridge, Canada
So I've been pretty stable for about a year.  I had my surgery in September 2009 and between preparation and surgery managed to lose 150 lbs.  That's the good news.  My weight kind of got stuck at 185 and that was ok.  At that weight, I wear size 12 pants (for the most part) and large tops.  A far cry from my size 26 pants and 4X Penningtons t-shirts...

here's the problem.  In the last two weeks my scale has increased about 10lbs for no real apparent reason.  Certainly I'm not as vigilent as I was in early days, but certainly still careful.  I still follow my no liquid with meals rule, keep carbs to a minimum and listen to when I'm full...I exercise regularly with walking and biking...

my questions is this - when does malabsorption end? Is that what I'm facing?  If so, what do I do?  Anyone else face this?  Any info would be appreciated...I feel a panic attack coming on!!
Highest Weight: 335
Weight when this journey began: 306
Presurgery Weight: 280      
tricia lynch
on 6/8/11 3:25 pm - thorold, Canada
not sure  have not had surgery yet but going to sound kinda dumb but is your scale in the same spot everytime you weigh yourself?  I freaks cause it showed i gained 8 pounds i was so Pi$$ed so i redid it and put the scale in a differant area and then it showed i lost 12 pounds.. something to think of
JJ_
on 6/8/11 7:09 pm
Is there a support group in your area?  It may help to surround yourself with others that are at your point in the journey.

Are you journalling your food? 

Just a thought

Judy
Monica M.
on 6/8/11 7:40 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
i think malabsorption does end after about two years. You can google it to find out for sure.

I would suggest going back to  measuring and weighing your food, and make sure you're getting enough fluids in. good luck, hope you figure this out. Maybe you should make an appt to see the dietitian?

mom4life
on 6/8/11 8:22 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
I have read many times that a 10-20 lb bounce back at around the 2 year mark is very common...and I do believe it has everything to do with your body adjusting to the malabsorbtion.  Vigilance, measuring and tracking are no doubt your most important steps in keeping it at bay.

You have done a great job at getting down 150 lbs, keep up the good work at maintaining.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

birdiegirl
on 6/8/11 10:12 pm
Hi Jacki

Start journaling your food again....measure and write everything down....its what helped me stop the upward slide
We think we are doing the same things but writing it down makes us examine it closely...You might not be as careful as you think you are

Good luck

Barb

izzyw13
on 6/8/11 10:21 pm, edited 6/8/11 10:22 pm - Mississauga Ontario, Canada
HI,
I experienced the same thing after about two years, I gained about 10 -12 lbs back from my 125 lb lost, which was about 10% of my total weight loss.
One of the first things my surgeon told me at my first meeting was about the 10% weight regain..
So I was prepared, so when it happened , I did not freak....I was not happy but knew what was happening..
I am still wearing size 12/14 jeans and Medium/large tops.. and I am healthy and happy !!!
I just ran my first half marathon and will do a full marathon in New York in November..
I love my RNY and would do it again in a heart beat!!!
Hope this helps and congratulations on your weight loss.

Isobel....
isobelsmall.gif picture by lynnca1972

Joyce J.
on 6/8/11 11:27 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

You are doing great. I think you should do what Barb said, journal your food, everything you put in your mouth
Also sometimes people find if they are eating the same things a lot to change up your food a bit. Sometimes that helps

Keep us posted on your progress

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Bonnie ABC
on 6/9/11 1:08 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
There was an interesting post, just can't find it at the moment.

Stages of wls

1.  I can't wait anymore.. I want it now.
2. The great night before Freak Out.
3. Why did I do this to myself?
4. I love this weight falling off thing.
5. People don't recognize me.
6. I'm losing too much weight, when will it stop.
7. Regain and thoughts of revision.

Regain usually throws one into a tailspin.  Questioning the surgery they chose, the way they eat and searching out the revision board.  You mind scrambles with every diet you can think of to lose it. 
What it all boils down to is how many calories in, and how many out.  We, those that have not exercised, must learn how to.  Our bodies lose incredibly for the first 18 - 24 months.  After that, it starts conserving calories and it does put us into a bit of a bind with a very small pouch.  We can function on far less calories so we have to work at it harder.   Awful price to pay to lose the weight, but what else are we to do?  Nothing else in the past worked.  So start tracking your food if you haven't ever before.  Move to lose.  Think about health rather than the number on the scale.  It's not about the numbers, and as long as you play that game, you will drive yourself crazy.  This is forever, and it's a daily challenge for some of us.  We are food addicts, that's what led us to this surgery and when you pass the time frame where it was easy, it then becomes far more mental than anything.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4391508/Goal-Weight-Regain-Ac countability/#36304447
Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/9/11 2:20 am - Windsor, Canada
Those of us who have been out a while, know that the year 2-3 is really the hardest to face when you are out. You are used to losing like crazy and when the scale bounces up, it is one of the most devastating things that can happen to you.  My goal is to educate people on this as much as possible so that people know to almost expect it at that point out.  I didn't really get much heads up about it and because of that it really sent me into a mental depression about myself, my weight loss and my life.  It sent me for a tailspin.   It wasn't the ACTUAL weight that was the worst part but what it did to me mentally and how it played into my psyche because I immediately went into "I'm a failure" mode and "I'm going to gain every pound back!". 

You can combat it but you have to know that at this point, malabsorption of macronutrients is pretty much gone. You'll absorb all fats, calories etc.  (you'll malabsorb micronutrients -vitamins and minerals forever).  To make up for that caloric intake increasing (by the lack of malabsorption) you might actually have to cut back a bit on calories to lose again.So what it is going to come down to is that now you are going to be like everyone else on the planet (but you have the added bonus of restriction so yes, you do have an "added bonus" of sorts.  If you want to burn more calories, continue to (or start) strength training to increase your metabolism.  Make sure you are drinking alot to keep hunger at bay.  Watch calories in, calories out.  Aim for "volumetrics" --- using big portions of healthy food to fill you up rather than small portions of crap food.  Track, track, and track. 

Most of all be patient with yourself, love yourself.  Honestly it is probably just temporary weight.   It may just be a temporary blimp in the radar.  A 10 lb gain in 2 weeks is technically not even possible.  More than likely it is something going on in your system, you're backed up, you are retaining fluid etc.  You have no where near eaten that many calories.  Drink, drink, drink...

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics