blood sugar and approval for surgery

Tina72
on 7/9/11 10:29 pm
HI
A question for all the diabetics who have had surgery or in the process

I'm going through the appointments in Ottawa (just starting), I have nutritionist, behaviourist, internist (Dr. Shaiu) in September.
At my first appointment last week, Dr Shaiu (forgive the spelling), told me my blood sugars were too high and the surgeons would not want to operate (slow healing of wounds)
Just wondering if anyone knows what blood glucose level they would find acceptable and safe to operate with.
Thanks
Tina
Sharvanne
on 7/9/11 10:38 pm - Canada
 Well, normal blood sugars for a diabetic are 5 - 7 before meals and 7 - 10 after meals. I don't know what the cap for sugery is, did you ask Dr Shaiu?

Do you have an endocrinologist? Are you on any medication or Insulin? Did the doctore tell you to start?
Highest Weight - 372 (May 2010)
Surgery Weight - 332.6 (March 4, 2011)
Current Weight - 212.9
Goal Weight - 175
laura S.
on 7/9/11 10:58 pm - London, Canada
No one at Windsor or Guelph has mentioned to me what the numbers are, but I vaguely remember my family doctor mentioned once when I was going to have bloodwork done that my 3 month average needed to be under 10.  That was with metformin and another diabetes medication mind you.  I hope he gave you a prescription if you aren't already on something, and if you are taking something, I hope he prescribed you something extra.  When I first saw the doctor in Windsor he had to prescribe an extra medication as my numbers were too high as well.  

Also, most people walk out of the hospital no longer needing their metformin or whatever they are on, so hopefully that will be the case with you as well and it won't be an issue for you any longer.  Either way though, I hope you are getting it under control now.   

Laura

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/9/11 11:21 pm - Windsor, Canada
Have you tried victoza the drug? Hubby had the same problem and was not going to be approved. Then the dietician suggested victoza to the endo and they tried it and bam hubby went to normal levels. Then he got approved

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

C. McMillan
on 7/10/11 3:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I just went to the orientation sessison in Ottawa on Friday and they stated that your H1C had to be less than 8% but should really be below 7.5% to considered for surgery.

Surgery:02-Dec-11 Highest: 344.6lbs  Pre-Optifast: 329lbs  Surgery: 311.6lbs  Current: 221lbs  Goal: 200lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics