Question about Vitamins/Supplements after WLS

northernlight
on 7/22/11 7:38 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hello to all - hope that everyone is staying cool & keeping hydrated during this hot  weather!  I'm trying to put together my list of all the items, both food & merchandise, that I'll need when I come home after my surgery. I've been making a list of different vitamins & supplements based on others' responses here on the forum.

I have a couple of questions concerning: who will actually advise me of what products I need to take and when will they tell me this?

***Will it be the surgeon, a nurse at the hospital, someone from the bariatric centre here in Windsor? Will it be the person (nurse, dietician?) conduction my surgical education class?

***Will I be told when I go to Toronto to meet the surgeon or when I go for my PATTS (maybe they are on the same day?) or when I'm back home, but prior to my surgery.

Also, does when does everyone get their Optifast? Same day as when you meet the surgeon or not until you get your surgery date? (I'm hoping that I don't have to make a 2nd trip up to Toronto just to pick up my Opti).

Thanks for any input - as always, it's much appreciated!

Deb

A T.
on 7/22/11 7:48 am, edited 7/21/11 7:48 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Hi

I just saw the surgeon on Thursday and he gave me my scripts for Optifast, Vitamin K and the injections for blood clots. I am going through St Joe's Hamilton.
I didn't want to make another trip that is why I got all the scripts now. I haven't got my surgery
date as the person booking them is on vacation.

Allison
northernlight
on 7/22/11 9:53 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for your info, Allison! Did you actually pick up your Optifast on Thursday? If not, how/when will you get it?

Deb

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/22/11 7:50 am, edited 7/22/11 7:51 am - Windsor, Canada
In the surgical class you will be told as you will be following your surgical centers guidelines. (Guelph or twh). The surgical class is excellent and I was lucky to accompany hubby for this one.

I was surprised how little attention people seemed to be paying. I was the only one writing notes and I had my surgery five years ago!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

northernlight
on 7/22/11 10:03 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Dawn, I'm really anxious to have my class as well. Like you, I'm really big on taking notes about everything. I remember that I was one of only 2 or 3 people writing things down at my orientation.  I have a binder full of info that I have collected from this forum, the Windsor weight loss group/FB page (thanks for all the good docs!), different websites on WLS  & various blogs. I am a super-organized type of person when it comes to things like this & I like to be prepared & know what's going on.

Deb

Betty Jo L.
on 7/22/11 8:31 am
 My surgeon is going to be giving the perscription for the vitamins and they have protein powders also that you can get from them. But I got my own and I asked the doctor to mail me the vitamin perscription so I can purchase them ahead of time. I am feeling overwhelmed until I get the perscription on hand hahaha. I am just like that. When I had my education class also it was very informative but the nutritionist went to fast when she was speaking as she got there late and seemed to be in a rush. She gave a quick run down of the vitamins and what to expexct before and after. I took so many notes. I was the only one also taking notes like a nerdy school girl haha. I am having a hard time choosing the right liquids, clear liquids and pureed foods as I don't want to mess anything up or make anything go wrong. 

I got my optifast when I had the education class and has to be done for 14 days piror to surgery. If anything you can call your DR's office and ask. I am sure you can get it all done when you have your apt with the surgeon.
 Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
northernlight
on 7/22/11 10:10 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks a lot for the info, Betty Jo. It sounds like the education class is a big part of it for us. Hey, don't feel bad - you're not the only one taking notes like a nerdy school girl - LOL! I will be doing the very same thing, I guarantee it! I am so concerned about doing something wrong and I know that I'm likely really overthinking this, but, that's just the way I am.  It sounds like we're a lot alike in that way, huh?

Deb

suzyq0052
on 7/22/11 12:48 pm
Hello dear friend. I had my meet the surgeon at TWH and received a script for the optifast that same day, in fact they filled out the order form for it while I was there and had me sign it and of course had me present my credit card to pay for the optifast. I received my shipment of optifast, by courier, TWO DAYS LATER.

As for vitamins and supplements, I was informed at surgery class, and by dietician at windor bariatric, during pre surgery process.. what types of vitamins would be necessary.. ie: chewables with 18mg iron .. for the first while, and likely much later, non-chewables can be used but iron count must be at least 18mg per tablet.
Calcium and Vitamin D doses were discussed by the endocrinologist at Windsor Bariatric.. in my case it was Dr Treki.. and I started on those about 1 wk post surgery. Citracal liquid at first..
and now am on citracal tablets but am 4 months post surgery now. Vitamin D tablets.. Dr Treki
said I needed 3000 iu of vitamin D because my levels were a bit low. Now my levels are perfect and I continue to use the 3000 iu daily.

If in doubt.. call the clinic in windsor and ask to speak with nurse.. have her call you back if she is busy at the time.. frankly you seldom get a "real person" first time you call.. its that darned voicemail.. so call and ask them to have the nurse return your call as you wish to discuss vitamins and supplements post op requirements.

hope our sugery is soon.. thinking of you daily.
suzyq0052

northernlight
on 7/22/11 2:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks, Suzanne, for that info. I appreciate you taking the time to post when I know how much you have going on right now.  I'm sure that you both must be exhausted from the trip home. Ttyl.

Deb

Most Active
Recent Topics