5 years post op and need to know something

Kim C.
on 9/24/11 9:44 pm - London, Canada
I have had great success but have had some recent pain. So I went to ER and had a upper abdominal xray. Nothing was found but they told me I only have 3 staples. I had a Roux n y done in 2006 in Guelph, but was under the impression that i had rows of staples. Is 3 normal? Do they stitch the separation also? So confused!!!!

Kim Crawford

Kelshy
on 9/24/11 10:13 pm, edited 9/24/11 10:14 pm - Cannifton, Canada
I would guess that they meant three rows, as the rows are continous like a zipper rather than a row of individual staples

1 - pouch to small intestine
2 - sealing the upper remnant stomach
3 - at the junction of the Y

all would be fairly small ... I would think no more than a few cm each.

ps.... congrats on your long term success. I hope they find the source of your pain soon!

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

Kim C.
on 9/24/11 10:15 pm - London, Canada
Actually I saw the xray and It is only 3 individual staples.....That is why i thought it was so strange!
And thanks

Kim Crawford

Kelshy
on 9/24/11 10:27 pm - Cannifton, Canada
 well looking at your pic I wouldn't argue with success! 

hopefully they get a handle on your pain in any case.

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 10:51 pm - Guelph, Canada
 When in douct call Dr. Reed... I am sure that even 5 years post op he would be available to consult on a surgery HE did.... 
Kim C.
on 9/25/11 6:12 am - London, Canada
in case you dont see my post i responded to your post in a reply to my orig post. Guelph is an amazing hospital and Dr Reed rocks!

Kim Crawford

Eileen C.
on 9/25/11 5:13 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi Kim

Just a note, as per my surgeron, he stated that I was sewn as well as stapled, as per your surgeron,

you would have to ask that office staff, also contact them to see what your pain could be from.

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, you did not say exactly where your pain region is, could it be your

gallbladder??

Take care and congrats on your weight loss journey, you have done fantastically 

Eileen
            my angel is Lisa48                                        
Kim C.
on 9/25/11 6:13 am - London, Canada
good to know, thanks

Kim Crawford

Kim C.
on 9/25/11 6:10 am - London, Canada
The pain is right above separation site. on left side. have now had ultrasound, xray and blood and urine tests to no avail, so tomorrow I will be calling Dr Reed. He is awesome and i am followed for 10 years annually so he will have no problem seeing me. And atleast i have the whole report available to give him. Just so frustrating.
thanks for the support.

Kim Crawford

Most Active
Recent Topics