Bite sizes when I reach full diet stage

aprilbennett1965
on 11/27/11 7:41 pm - Canada
This may come as a really stupid question BUT I have to ask...in several books I have read they recommend taking pencil-eraser bite sizes when you are back on full diet and then chew chew chew until it has reached a pureed consistency.

When I think pencil-eraser, I am thinking the eraser on the tip of the pencil, however, how would I chew a bite that size approximately 20 times?  Do they mean take bites the size of an actual eraser?

Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Monica M.
on 11/27/11 8:12 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
hmmm.. i'm not sure. When i went on full diet, i tried to take "small" bites, and chew them well, at least 20 times or more. A pencil tip eraser seems to sma.., but an actual eraser seems too big.

no more than a tablespoon in  a bite, i would think.

happypants
on 11/27/11 8:53 pm - Ottawa, Canada
April everyone is different don't forget. When I take a bit its usually about the size of my thumb from the tip of my nail to the very first knuckle before the nail. I chew normally because I find that if I chew it like the centre suggests its to gritty to swallow and I gag. I do chew well though don't get me wrong I just don't pulverize the food.

That being said, I have had zero food issues to date (knocking on wood as we speak). The only advice I can add is to take food slow. Only you will know what is best for you. You may have to take pencil eraser size bits and chew real well or it may be that you can handle a bit more food that the WMC suggests, you'll just have to wait and see when the time comes.
:)

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

jdance
on 11/28/11 2:14 am - Canada
Hijack,
Hey happy pants, I LOVE your new Avatar,
you look great.
J

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 9:04 pm - Canada
They are referring to the eraser on the end of a pencil.  My dietician said "pea size" which is really tiny.  I do take smaller bites and chew a lot but I dont think Ive ever done pea size. 
Karen W.
on 11/27/11 11:28 pm - Canada
When I started on solid food I used a baby spoon to get used to taking very small bites.  I don't think I ever ate peas-sized or pencil eraser-sized bites, though.

RNY April 11, 2011       

laura S.
on 11/27/11 11:41 pm - London, Canada
I was told that while the swelling and scar tissue build up is at its peak inside the stoma, the entry to the intestines is the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil.  During that time - usually at about 6 - 10 weeks-ish (varies from person to person), it is best to cut your food into pieces that size and then chew the hell out of them.  Maybe that is what they are talking about?

All the best,

Laura

onehotmom
on 11/28/11 2:06 am
my surgeon was dr.reed and he told me my bites at that stage should be the size of a sugar cube. And chew very well. I thought it was funny he used that as an example.
A.    
jdance
on 11/28/11 2:17 am - Canada
Very small indeed, lots of good advice.
don't worry, it won't always be that way,
although i still take smaller bites than before.
Almost gag when i see my husband shovel in a brick size piece of steak. have to pick my chin off the floor. Dang, does he even taste it before swallowing.

aprilbennett1965
on 11/28/11 11:57 am - Canada
Thank you very much for all of the advice. It was very helpful.
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Most Active
Recent Topics