Yuck

C. McMillan
on 12/16/11 10:59 pm, edited 12/16/11 11:00 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I threw up for the first time post-op. My daughter made me a omlette for breakfast this morning. It had cheese and a few mushrooms. I'm not sure what happened but I was almost done this little omlette when all of a sudden it felt like something was stuck so I took a small sip of juice to try to loosen it - boy it was a mistake. Within a few seconds most everything was up and out.

Felt worst for her because she thought she made me sick but I told her something got stuck and it wasn't her cooking. Did not want her to feel bad especially since it is her 15th birthday today and she tried to treat me to a nice breakfast.

Surgery:02-Dec-11 Highest: 344.6lbs  Pre-Optifast: 329lbs  Surgery: 311.6lbs  Current: 221lbs  Goal: 200lbs  

mypita58
on 12/16/11 11:28 pm - Windsor, Canada
 You must be so proud of your daughter. Its too bad she could not delay making you breakfast for another month. This breakfast seems too much so soon after surgery. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your daughter!!
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
trudylam
on 12/17/11 12:39 am - Sudbury, Canada
At 2 weeks out I would think that an omelette with cheese and mushrooms is way too much, too heavy.  Cooked in butter/margarine or oil?  Not a good idea.  Sorry you experienced this.  Just remember you are still healing, probably still swollen and you need time before you attempt this stuff.  As for the drink, don't even have a drink handy while you are eating so you can avoid the temptation to just take a sip while you are eating. 

Happy birthday to your daughter and best of luck to you. :)

Manda M.
on 12/17/11 4:23 am
Every place is different. I was told by my dietian that I can have 1/4 cup to drink while eating. I don't but its always there just in case.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

happypants
on 12/17/11 2:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
I went through Ottawa as well. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with what you ate even being two weeks out. Ottawa want us to progress when we feel ready.

What might have happened is that you ate to fast or didn't chew enough. I find that if things are dry like chicken etc I have a wee and I mean wee sip of water to help the food go down better. A very tiny sip is different than a drink.

On a foot note: I still have trouble with eggs. For some reason they sit in my tummy like a lead balloon. I find that if I over cook that egg even a bit disaster strikes.

I hope your daughter has a very happy birthday today!!!

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Leslie W.
on 12/17/11 2:41 am - Cobourg, Canada
I find I can eat poached eggs alot easy than omelettes. At 2 weeks I could eat about 1/2 eggs. I did well the first few than one day just a bite and that did me in. It certainly is strange that one day one food is good have it again and no way.
The body is a mysterious thing,
You have a great daughter for making you breakfast.
Tell her happy BD!

Good luck Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
JJ_
on 12/17/11 5:11 am
I agree with Ann, we are told to progress as we feel ready.  I guess you were not ready for that particular omelet as yet!  Sorry you had to experience that Carol.

Judy
aprilbennett1965
on 12/17/11 11:44 am - Canada
Ah so sorry you experienced that Carol...but just think of how good you will be for your daughter's 16th!
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Sirene
on 12/17/11 10:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hey Carol...
I dont think an omelette was the issue....Ottawa tells us we can eat scrambled eggs and soft cheeses at 2 weeks out. I had no problem with eggs but I know a lot of people do...

That being said.....I (thankfully) have only vomitted once and it was the exact scenario you described....just felt like something got stuck and I took a sip to try to wa**** down....then it all foamed up like friggin baking soda and vinegar and out it came! I was even at work!!!
Nasty!

I think, for me anyways, it was eating too fast. Chew chew chew chew chew. It should still be taking you nearly 45 minutes to eat a 1 egg omelette.....and I know it will be cold :( I never did figure that part out

Now though, for some reason, I cant eat eggs. Well the yolk anyway. I can only eat egg whites. Try maybe an egg white omelette next time and see if that makes a difference?

Good luck! It seems to be all trial and error from here on out!!

Jennifer  

ROSIESMILE
on 12/21/11 3:31 am
Mixed textures were always a trigger for me due to not chewing enough.
Mushrooms may be too difficult to digest at this point.

Most Active